Senior Advisor at the United States Institute of Peace
The United States Institute of Peace (USIP) prevents, mitigates and resolves violent conflicts around the world by engaging directly in conflict zones and providing analysis, education and resources to those working for peace.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Advisor
- The Senior Advisor will provide strategic advice to grow USIP’s work in Nigeria and the broader Lake Chad Basin area.
- Will work with the DC-based Senior Program Officer who leads USIP’s programming in Nigeria, to inform and develop medium-term strategy, advance program goals, and identify new opportunities.
- Will provide oversight to coordinate USIP staff in Nigeria implementing programs focused on promoting inclusion, community security, and preventing election violence.
- As needed, the Senior Advisor may be asked to travel within Nigeria or regionally.
- This position will be based in Abuja with an expected duration of 12 months at 2 days per week.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the DC-based Senior Program Officer, and in-country team to promote activities in support of USIP’s Nigeria program;
- As needed, provide technical expertise to the design and implementation of USIP activities in Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin area;
- As needed, provide technical advice on request to the design of USIP program proposals or workplans.
- Strengthen existing USIP partnerships with state governors and senior civic leaders;
- Provide advice on building new or strengthening existing partnerships with government, security officials, civil society networks, and international non-government organizations;
- Promote strong working relationships with the Nigerian government and the Lake Chad Basin Commission and security forces (including Multinational Joint Task Force-MNJTF) to advance USIP’s mission through strategic partnerships;
- Provide coordinated oversight of the in-country implementation of USIP’s Nigeria program strategy by consulting with staff and partner organizations;
- As necessary or appropriate, represent USIP with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Perform other duties as required to further USIP’s mission and goals.
- Master’s Degree in International Relations, Law, Political Science or related subject; Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum 14 years relevant full-time consulting or staff-level experience required, including work in active and recently active conflict zones;
- Minimum 5 years managing international development, human rights, and/or peacebuilding projects and teams.
- Deep Knowledge of Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin area particularly on issues related to the Boko Haram conflict; civilian security; and civil-military relations;
- In-depth understanding of local conflicts in Nigeria and opportunities to resolve them;
- Experience in Nigeria and/or conflict-affected regions of the Sahel and the Lake Chad Basin implementing programs engaging a broad range of stakeholders;
- Interpersonal skills and cultural sensitivity to effectively interact with all levels of staff, policy makers, local partners, US and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, and funders.
- Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
- Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.