Regional Accountant at the Niger River Basin Authority
Niger River Basin Authority – In the 1960s, the independent countries of the Niger Basin decided to coordinate their efforts in order to exploit the natural resources of the basin, among which water is the first. The Niamey Act related to Navigation and economic Cooperation between the countries of the Niger Basin was signed on October 26, 1963 and was replaced by Niamey Agreement related to the River Niger Commission and to Navigation and transportation on the Niger River which was signed on November 25, 1964. The Commission of the Niger River was renamed the Niger Basin Authority on November 21, 1980.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Regional Accountant
Location: Niamey, Niger
- Under the supervision of the Regional Program Coordinator, you are responsible for the administrative staff, the accounting and the financial management of the program.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Maintain the program’s computerized accounts (general, budget and analytical); as such, you follow the movements of the designated account and ensure the filing of accounting documents.
- Control the category- based commitments of authorized expenditure.
- Check all pro-forma invoices, contracts, purchase orders and invoices to be paid and their supporting documents.
- Carry out the administrative formalities for exemptions of goods and services in the context of the Projects implementation.
- Ensure the payment of taxes.
- Check the cash and determine its theoretical and physical situation.
- Prepare annual financial audit assignments and collaborate with other experts.
- Participate in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual dashboards with a view to identifying the available balances per the budget lines as well as the necessary corrective measures to be implemented.
- Monitor the management of supplies inventory and place orders.
- Ensure the filing and archiving of all documents relating to the bud gel accounting, financial and administrative management of the program.
- Prepare resource transfers to National Focal Bodies and National Implementing Agencies.
- Prepare requests for funds withdrawal and direct payment.
- Prepare the necessary financial statements for the preparation of the financial monitoring reports of the program in accordance with the provisions of the procedures manual.
- Provide the accounting and financial data needed to consolidate NBA accounts.
- Prepare bank reconciliation statements on a monthly and quarterly basis (designated account, secondary accounts and advance accounts).
- Prepare and submit for approval by the Regional Coordinator, the CFO and the Executive Secretary’s signature, all payment items relating to the program activities execution.
- Assist the Project Coordinator in the preparation of the provisional budgets for future activities.
As part of the World Bank project portfolio, you will:
- Ensure timely and accurate recording of operations, resources and expenditures on a category basis for projects and program components.
- Maintain updating of procurement forms and monitoring of commitments.
- Prepare a monthly report of expenditures per project and per component in order to have a clear idea of the program’s evolution.
- Encourage exchanges with the National Focal Points Accountants and the National Implementing Agencies to keep the accounts in accordance with the provisions of the program.
- Participate in the preparation of budgets and financial reports.
- Perform any other duties entrusted to you by the Coordinator.
- Identify and codify any equipment available to the coordination and the CFO offices and any other service for program implementation.
- Work with the Monitoring and Evaluation expert to prepare the Financial Monitoring Report (FMR).
Profile of the Role
- 4-year higher education graduate in accounting, finance, audit or any other equivalent degree, you have at least 5 years of professional accounting experience in a development project funded by the World Bank.
- You also have a minimum of 12 months’ experience in an audit firm and a good knowledge of the World Bank’s accounting and procurement procedures as well as financial audit requirements. Organized, able to work in a team and under pressure in a multicultural environment, with good analysis, synthesis and reporting capacities, you are discreet in the execution of your tasks, you fluently speak and write one the NBA languages (French and English), and have a good knowledge of computer tools and standard software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and a command of at least one accounting software.
- The initial term of the contract will be (2) years renewable following a satisfactory assessment of performance and the favorable opinion of the World Bank.
- The first six (6) months will serve as a probationary period to confirm or not the continuation of the contract.
Application Closing Date
30th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com (cover letter, CV’s in English and French, with salary expectations and photo).
Note: Women Applications are vividly encouraged.