UNICEF Jobs in Nigeria for an International Education Consultant
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Education Consultant – Early Childhood Development (ECD)
Job Number: 509905 | Vacancy Link
Work Type: Consultancy
UNICEF is providing technical support to government in the expansion and implementation of quality pre-primary education in focus states. This includes curriculum development; development of instructional standards; capacity building of pre-primary teachers and workforce at the in-service and the pre-service level. This stream of work will be strengthened as we move into the new country programme 2018 as a key priority. In addition, the consultant will support focused assignments that builds capacity of a cadre of ECE master trainers and teacher educators.
Secondly, UNICEF is assisting the state government of Borno state, Shani LGA in the implementation of an Integrated Basic Nutrition Project (INP+) focused on addressing nutrition, WASH, Child Protection and Early Childhood Development communication and stimulation for children 0-3 years of age. This intervention will be delivered in an integrated manner at the community level for a pilot period of 21 months. The education section, drawing on lessons learnt using CCD in other context, will pilot this approach as its intervention in the INP+. Thus, the international ECD consultant will provide technical support in roll out and implementation of the CCD package working closely with 2 National Consultants and other communication and stimulation project staff, other partners in the INP+ consortium and government partners.
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The purpose of this consultancy is to provide technical support in Early Childhood Development in the Education section. The consultant will provide technical support in two streams of work.
- Revised Reggio and other Child Centred Approaches Package
- Cluster meeting Guide and resources
- ECD advocacy kit/tools
- Finalized NCE minimum standards reviewed.
- Draft Sections of Revised one year pre-primary curriculum
- Guidelines for development of culturally and age appropriate picture books and learning materials for pre-primary children.
- Cadre of at least 40 ECE Master Trainers Trained
- 18 members of the INP+ Training teams trained in early stimulation and communication
- Workshop and training reports.
- INP+ Initial Training Reports
- INP+ Refresher Training Reports
- Reviewed outreach training materials and IEC messages
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Care and Education.
- At least 8 years of experience and demonstrated experience in Early Childhood Care and Development especially for children and their caregivers 0-3 years of age.
- Experience in developing and implementing parenting programmes for disadvantaged and vulnerable groups.
- Experience in implementing integrated ECD projects and interventions that include parenting, nutrition and child protection.
- Deep familiarity and understanding of ECD context in Nigeria, especially in emergency contexts or and disadvantaged settings is added advantage.
- Experience with pre-service and in-service teacher training systems.
- Ability to design and develop outreach messages and materials for parental education focused on early stimulation and communication.
- Experience in designing and conducting evaluation and research issues related to early childhood education.
- Experience in developing children’s books and materials for ECD.
- Excellent workshop facilitation and training skills, especially with teachers and government officials.
- Fluency in English language and writing skills.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
- Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.