National/International Consultant Job at the United Nations Children’s Fund
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National/International Consultant (Assessment of Communication for Development (C4D) in Basic Education)
Job Number: 510027
SSA National /International Consultant
(NOD or P4 Level)
Assessment of Communication for Development (C4D) in Basic Education
(Focus states Bauchi, Niger, Sokoto , Borno, Ebonyi, Bayelsa and Oyo States.)
Purpose of Assignment
- The purpose of the consultancy is to organise and coordinate a participatory process to collect and consolidate evidence on knowledge, attitudes and practices that affect school enrolment, retention and completion, which will eventually help in the design of a behaviour and social change communication strategy to support efforts to ensure that marginalized children enrol in school, start at the right age, attend regularly, and complete their schooling with meaningful learning outcomes at all levels of the education sector, especially for girls.
- The main focus of the consultancy are Bauchi, Niger, Sokoto, Borno , Ebonyi ,Bayelsa and Oyo states in Nigeria with view on wider implications and recommendations.
The consultancy has three specific objectives:
- To assess the status of current C4D in education efforts in Nigeria addressing the key issues related to education access, quality and accountability.
- To identify the key behavioural and social determinants (i.e. both barriers and opportunities) in focus states at each level of society (individual, family, community, institutional, policy level) that impact on education access, quality, accountability and capacity in both development and humanitarian contexts.
- To provide recommendations that will guide the next steps of the project (to develop a social mobilization and communication strategy that will improve marginalized girls enrolment in schools.
- Inception Report: Provides foundation to consultancy and should be reflected in reports produced.
- Education Status Report providing overview of synopsis of current key trends on access, quality and accountability.
- Consultation Plan with outline of groups to be involved and respective roles, group sizes and composition, documents required to inform the discussions, expected outputs and time frames.
- Mapping Instrument and Interview Guides (adapted from Global mapping instrument)
- Mapping report providing an overview of the nature, focus, scope, scale and actors involved in supporting behaviour and socialchange efforts in the local Education sector.
- C4D in Education Situation Analysis report with inputs from the Mapping exercise and SWOT analysis on C4D interventions at policy/system level: national and subnational (e.g. C4D within Education Sector planning, budgeting, management/staffing, capacity development, local governance).
- Behavioural Analysis Report providing in-depth analysis of findings from primary research on barriers, opportunities, Participant Groups in relation to influencing the key recommended behaviours.
- Submission of Final Report with key recommendations for the development of National C4D in Education strategy
Key Competencies, Technical Background, and Experience Required
Technical background and professional Experience:
- Advanced Degree in the areas of Social Sciences, Anthropology, Communication, Gender and Child Rights
- Skills and expertise at developing results-based, multi-year operational plans (for national and sub-national levels)
- Minimum of 8 years professional experience in Communication for Development and International Development or Education across multiple development contexts, including experience in conducting C4D studies.
- Familiarity with participatory processes with specific focus on children, adolescents.
- Knowledge of social norm change processes, including participatory approaches to community led development.
- Experience in working across multiple sectors and levels from family, community, institutional and policy levels.
- Strong organizational and planning skills, inter-personal and communication skills.
- Experience working with UN agencies and UN priorities (i.e. Human Rights Based Approach, Vulnerability and Equity, Disabilities etc.).
Other desired characteristics:
- Demonstrated ability to assess and analyse complex situations in order to succinctly and clearly distil critical issues and draw out forward looking conclusions.
- Strong writing skills; experience in publication of technical reviews/reports and strong oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge and ability to deliver products in high stress situations with excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, ability to coordinate and synchronize work with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Strong skills on consensus building, team work and consortium dynamics.
- Flexible and responsive to recommended changes as part of the review and feedback process
- This consultancy is expected to cover a period of 3 months.
Application Closing Date
23rd January, 2018.