Food Security Officer wanted at the Danish Refugee Council
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security Officer
Reports to: Senior Food Security Officer
Aim/Objective of Position
- The overall aim of the position is to assist the Food Security Manager(s) and the Senior Officer(s) to develop, coordinate and manage a timely and effective food security assistance project in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements.
- Specific objectives of the position include 1) planning, supervising and monitoring food distribution activities; 2) coordinating with other DRC teams, actors and stakeholders to ensure effective and timely activities have the required impact.
Employees under the responsibility of the position:
- Food Security Assistants
- Casual laborers and other staff as defined by programmatic requirements.
- Professional travel: Yes, to all areas of operation and potential start up locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Food Security Officer, the holder of this position shall perform the following duties:
- Assist the Senior Food Security Officer to develop and coordinate emergency responses in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements (WFP).
- Give input to project proposals, reports and technical and financial documentation for submission to donors when required.
- Maintain detailed records of all activities, including tracking of new arrivals, distributions completed, and challenges.
- Ensure high technical quality and transparent processes are observed at all times throughout the DRC team.
- Represent DRC in relevant internal and external forums when requested.
- Adhere to Food Security tools, practices and other DRC policies.
- Promote the rights of displaced people and affected populations, and explore and assess new and better ways to provide timely, effective and appropriate assistance.
- Undertake all preparations of field missions Mission Plans, TORs, Per Diems, Advances, safety briefings, safety checks, activity records, timesheets, PRs, and all other documentation and processes required.
- Provide the distribution staff with appropriate tools and techniques for the distribution, supervising all aspects of the distribution closely.
- Ensure adherence to agreed Standard Operating Procedures for distributions, by all staff including hired labourers.
- Ensure that registration and verification of beneficiaries is done in line with standard procedures.
- Oversee the distribution of emergency relief items / food commodities in close collaboration with other partners and supervise casual workers at the distribution sites.
- Review the overall commodity movements such as food deliveries, and distribution and record the amounts received in good condition and if any damages
- Work closely with other DRC programmes in Country/Area of operation, local authorities, NGOs and other coordination forums/clusters or any other relevant working groups.
- Liaise with local community leaders and ensure strong community participation and involvement in emergency activities.
- Provide written and verbal translations when required.
- Collect relevant data for maintaining updated beneficiary records and distribution lists
- Ensure correct data collection and tracking of all emergency interventions and participate in compiling emergency related internal (bi-weekly, monthly, quarterly) and external (interim and final) reports
- Assist in monitoring and analysing potential emergency situations and immediately report to the relevant managers any changes, issues or challenges.
- Ensuring sound security and safety measures during all fields missions.
- Take responsibility for any materials, tools, vehicles, communication equipment provided by DRC.
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
- Any other duty that will be assigned by the line managers.
- Relevant higher education at college level or related fields in food security and/or livelihoods, international development or humanitarian assistance.
- Experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Minimum 2 years work experience in a humanitarian/recovery context, preferably with an international NGO.
- Proven experience of registration, verification and distribution in emergency relief operations is a strong advantage.
- Computer skills (primarily MS Office applications), especially Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of the context in rural Nigeria.
- Strong understanding of protection principles and likely protection concerns.
- Conflict sensitivity
- Solid experience in staff management in a cross-cultural environment required.
- Experience in complex emergencies and the ability to live and work in a very remote environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and without daily supervision.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. Fluency in Hausa. Competency in Kanuri and/or other local languages appropriate to the target population.
- Prepare and share workplan with line managers and team members.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports.
- Provide the line managers with relevant documents, and channel issues.
- Communicate, exchange information and co-operate with relevant internal teams.
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online