Health Manager Job at the United Nations Children’s Fund
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Health Manager, P-4
Job Number: 510355
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
How can you make a difference?
The Health Manager reports to the Chief Field Office for general guidance and supervision. The Specialist is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting of the health (gender, maternal, neonatal, child survival/development) program/s within the country program and providing technical guidance and operational support throughout the programming process to facilitate the achievement of concrete and sustainable results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and organizational Strategic Plans and goals, standards of performance and accountability framework.
Program Development and Planning:
- Plan and provide technical support/guidance to the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis to establish a comprehensive/updated strategic plan for development, design and management of health related programs. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Prepare, coordinate and/or supervise the formulation of health program recommendation and related documentations as a component of the Country Program establishing clear program goals, objectives, strategies and results based on results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM).
- Ensure alignment of sectoral program with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Program and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to provide technical and operational support on program planning, management and implementation and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other UNICEF sectors throughout all stages of programming processes.
Program Management, Monitoring and Delivery of Results:
- Coordinate, plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in health programs.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Plan, monitor certify disbursements and control the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures, donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare mandated and key program/project reports for donors and other partners to keep them informed program progress.
Advisory Services and Technical Support:
- Collaborate/consult with key government officials, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on policies, strategies and best practices and approaches on health and related issues to support program development planning, management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Participate in program strategic discussions/planning to provide technical advice/contribute policy discussions and agenda setting to promote health and development issues especially in the areas of gender, emergency preparedness and maternal, neonatal and child survival and development.
- Prepare policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Participate in emergency preparedness initiatives program development and contingency planning and/or to respond to emergencies in country or where designated.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building:
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with health sector government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and/or promote cooperation and alliances to achieve program goals on children rights and social justice/equity.
- Prepare communication and information materials to highlight program goals, achievements and/or needs to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs (maternal, neonatal and child survival and development).
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on health and related issues to ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting. Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues UNDAF planning and preparation of health programs/projects.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity Building:
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable health programs/projects initiatives.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best and cutting edge practices in health management and information systems. Institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Lead/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on health related programs/projects.
- An Advanced University Degree in Public Health/Nutrition, Pediatric Health, Family Health, Health Research, Global/International Health, Health Policy and/or Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Biostatistics, Socio-medical, Health Education, Epidemiology or other Health related sciences is required.
- A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in public health/nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal and neonatal health care, health emergency/humanitarian preparedness, at the international level some of which preferably in a developing country is required.
- Relevant experience in health/nutrition program/project development and management in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Application Closing Date
4th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.