Lay Counsellor (Specialty in Expressive Therapy) at Neem Foundation
Neem Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organization founded as a direct response to the problem of insecurity in Nigeria. The Foundation was established under Nigerian law in January 2016 and is registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission. We are committed to improving the lives of those affected by the insurgency and preventing violence through building inclusive communities and providing and raising the standards of psychosocial care.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Lay Counsellor (Specialty in Expressive Therapy)
Location: Maiduguri, Mafa, Bama, Damboa, Dikwa – Borno
- We are seeking a qualified and experienced Lay counsellor with a speciality in Expressive Therapy, with particular experience in Art Therapy and Play Therapy.
- The selected candidate is to provide a program of specialized therapeutic activities to an assigned group of beneficiaries for the purpose of effecting improvements in their physical, emotional and social well-being.
- Assumes direct responsibility for the welfare of all assigned beneficiaries
- Organizes and conducts therapeutic activities such as dance, music, arts, crafts, social activities, trips, group discussions and special programs in accordance with beneficiaries’ needs, capabilities and interests.
- Provide a basic range of expressive therapeutic services to clients.
- Consults with other professionals, regarding the evaluation and treatment of clients.
- Provides psychological assessment, testing and evaluation, referral and consultation.
- Provide programme planning, counselling/education, prevention service/activities, individuals and couples through expressive therapy.
- Interact with clients to provide assessment, testing, diagnosis treatment, case management, follow up and treatment planning, with physicians to provide consultation.
- Collaborate and cooperate in a professional manner with co-workers, other departments and other agencies in order to assure effective continuity of care and services.
- Prepare and maintain mental health notes and narrative reports of mental health activities (in the appropriate charting format).
- Maintain clients’ records, as part of the Medical records system and follow policies of records and maintenance of client confidentiality.
- Observe strict confidentiality and privacy of clients.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education: A first degree in guidance and counselling or a related field. A Masters degree in psychology, social sciences, development studies, art therapy and play therapy is an added advantage.
- Previous training or experience with art therapy and play therapy is an added advantage.
- Previous training or experience with cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an added advantage.
- Previous training or experience with local expressive therapeutic techniques in the Northeast (e.g., dance, music, etc.)
- Professional, expert knowledge of psychological theories, principles.
- Able to participate in evaluation, diagnosis, individual, group and family psychotherapy, crisis intervention, consultation, prevention and research such as would be obtained in a doctoral programme in psychology and in a clinical internship practice.
- Ability to communicate with children of all ages.
- High degree of skill in the psychological assessment and evaluation of people.
- English Language (Fluent) and Basic understanding of Hausa language. Proficiency in Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Must have strong interest in clinical psychology; working with children, helping people rebuild their lives and work towards the development of Borno State.
Profile of Behaviour:
- Confident, attention to detail, independent judgment, self-starter, reliable, team-player, friendly, flexible, disciplined, adaptable, numerate.
- Practical experience working with victims/ survivors of insurgency.
- Academic or work experience in Psychology
- Hausa speaker
- Kanuri speaker
- Previous knowledge of gender-based violence.
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2018
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online