Chief Accountant Vacancy at ACDI/VOCA Nigeria
ACDI/VOCA – Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 45 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $174 million.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Accountant
Project: Transforming Irrigation Management in Nigeria (TRIMING) project
- ACDI/VOCA is seeking experienced and talented professionals for the Chief Accountant position. The position will be based in Kano.
- This is an administrative & technical position.
- The position will be responsible for day-to-day management of project accounting/finance functions.
- She/he will also be responsible for training 4 Farm Management Centers (FMCs) in basic accounting & finance practices pertaining to FMCs.
- For the project, this position maintains accounting systems, standards, records and enforces policies, procedures, and internal controls.
- Coordinates with bookkeeper in a sub office in Abuja to ensure that sub office financial/accounting matters are executed efficiently.
- Maintains internal controls over receipts, disbursements, & management of all financial resources.
- Maintains the financial records of the field office including day-to-day field office operating expenditures, financial and accounting transactions, and bank accounts:
- Ensures correct and timely payments to vendors, landlords and service providers.
- Maintains banking relationship, including preparing bank deposits & correspondence.
- Prepares monthly reconciliations of bank account.
- Prepares vouchers and checks/wire transfers for payments. Ensures all supporting documentation and journal entries are accurate.
- Ensure payments are allowable, allocable and compliant with local govt., donor and ACDI/VOCA regulations.
- Ensures ledgers are accurate and compliant with applicable cost principles.
- Prepares statutory monthly/annual tax return reports for local tax authorities
- Processes/prepares employees’ travel advances & ensures advances are liquidated.
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis.
- Makes per diem payments to trainees, training/workshop participants and facilitators.
- Follows VAT guidelines and requirements regarding payment of VAT in country. Prepares regular VAT claims for submission to the donor & assist in preparing tax return reports
- Prepares regular and ad hoc financial documents and reports as requested:
- Prepares/submits field office financial reports, supporting documentation, field cash reconciliations, and monthly cash projections/advance requests
- Reviews contract and grant budgets and related financial reports and documentation.
- Assists in preparing financial budgets, tracking sheets, & other financial documents.
- Prepares financial information for the Quarterly and Annual reports as required.
- Ensures the proper accounting and internal controls are maintained:
- Maintains systems & procedures to accomplish internal auditing tasks & ensure financial files are audit ready. Creates & maintains audit ready, well-organized filing system
- Maintain internal controls of receipts, disbursements, & mgmt. of financial resources.
- Ensures that accounting documents such as official receipts, local purchase order are secure.
- Keeps confidential all financial and sensitive information.
- Ensures effective filing of accounting documents to facilitate access and retrieval.
- Maintains accurate financial records in manual and electronic accounting ledgers
- Ensures submission and processing of finance-related implementation documentation.
- Participates in regular Finance staff meetings, conferences, workshops as assigned.
- Travels to participate in audits and budget modifications as required.
- Verify the office petty cash fund and the monthly report.
- Performs other duties and undertakes other projects as may be assigned
- Execute budget tracking and financial planning of office resources
- Set up finance and accounting (F&A) systems for the Farm Management Centers that will provide a range of services to the farmers. The centers are yet to be created:
- Set up appropriate finance and accounting systems for the FMCs
- Participate in the section of the FMCs’ accounting and finance staff training
- Train FMC staff and management in F&A matters as pertaining to running an FMC.
- Periodically audit finance and accounting functions of the FMCs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited institution. ACCA, ICSA, CIMA, CPA or other recognized professional qualification.
- Minimum five years of progressive experience in financial management with a minimum of two years in an international non-governmental organization. Experience with donor project procedures, policies and compliance requirements a plus.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of either US accounting standards (GAAP), International Accounting Standards (IAS), or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS).
- Knowledge of USG regulations (22 CFR part 226; 2 CFR part 200; Sub grant mgmt.) a plus.
- Proven knowledge of applicable local tax laws. Ability to interpret governmental regulations.
- Advanced working knowledge in Excel; with a proficiency in Word, QuickBooks.
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting and spreadsheet software
- Good analytical skills & ability to gather/analyze info recommend appropriate actions.
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with others on varied and occasionally complex issues.
- Good writing skills to effectively develop, compile, and present information.
- Ability to define problems, collect and analyze data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions
- Can work effectively in atmosphere of multiple tasks, shifting priorities, & deadline pressure.
- Fluency in English, written and oral and ability to travel as required.
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resume to: [email protected] Please include the position title in the subject line.
- The resume and related application documents shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work.
- Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.
- Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
- ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. EOE.