Consultant wanted at ActionAid Nigeria
We invite applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant – Development, translation and production of BCC Messages
Department: Governance Manager
Reports to: Governance Manager
Time frame: February – March, 2018
Contract: Short Term Contract
Activity: Develop, translate and produce Behaviour Change Communication materials on governance and electoral related issues to be disseminated in the SCEEP states/LGAs.
The Strengthening Citizens’ Engagement with the Electoral Process (SCEEP) is a three-year project funded by the UK Department for International Development (DfID) to promote citizen’s participation and deepen democratic governance in Nigeria. Strengthening Citizens’ Engagement in the Electoral Process (SCEEP) project is being executed to strengthen the participation of women, youth and persons with disability in Nigeria’s electoral process in six states in Nigeria.
One of the key pillars of the SCEEP project is to empower citizens with the right knowledge and skills to hold government accountable and participate more effectively in determining the outcome of governance processes. As part of this mandate, the project has done extensive work in the area of citizen’s mobilization and education with respect to elections.
Part of the efforts towards addressing this situation, the SCEEP project aims to build a structured approach towards achieving empowerment that delivers the right information to help citizens make informed choices.
In addressing knowledge gaps, it is important to consider using the most basic language and methods to ensure that the target groups are reached and effectively understand all information they are exposed to. Therefore The project seeks to produce BCC materials that address SCEEP Project related issues on governance and electoral processes.
Responsibilities / Key Deliverables
The following are expectations from the consultant:
1.) Develop BCC messages centred on SCEEP Project activities:
- The consultant shall meet with the Governance manager upon the award of contract to have better grasp of expectation of AAN from the contract.
- The Consultant will be responsible for developing messages, translating and printing the materials requested. He/She will ensure clarity of structure and internal consistency. She will also ensure easy comprehension irrespective of literacy level in English language.
- The Consultant will read and understand the basics of the SCEEP Project to ensure the messages are related to the project’s topics of interest.
2.) Oversee technical editing and copy-editing of materials for readability and consistency:
- The Consultant will do the technical editing and copy-editing of the materials provided i.e. appropriate use of boxes, graphics and tables (where relevant); sequencing, consistency, spelling and grammar.
- The Consultant shall be responsible for the proof-reading of all materials after the layout/graphic works of the document(s) must have been concluded.
- The Consultant will oversee the editing of the final document and ensure this is consistent with the ActionAid branding as shall be provided by the Governance Manager.
- The Consultant will support AAN as agreed in this contract and as subsequently agreed between her and Governance manager or any other person authorised to negotiate with her on behalf of the organisation.
- She is therefore to indicate her availability and period wherein the job would be concluded, if outside the time frame stated in this ToR.
- Recognized degree
- At least 5 years’ experience delivering similar project
- Proven experience in producing BCC materials
- Familiarity with development work
- Proven experience meeting this deliverable for a development related organization
- A good grasp of English language, Pidgin and Hausa
Confidentiality, Disclosure of Information:
- Information will be made available for the Consultant and his/her personnel, on a needâ€‘toâ€‘know basis.
- Consultant’s personnel requiring access to sensitive information or assets must hold a valid, appropriate level of personnel security screening.
- The Consultant will undertake to keep confidential the variety of information and other confidential materials to which this work gives her access.
- It is understood and agreed that the Consultant shall, during and after the effective period of the Contract, treat as confidential and not divulge, unless authorised in writing by the Governance Manager and with the consent of the Country Director, any information obtained in the course of the performance of the Contract.
Ownership of outputs:
- The outputs of this contract as stipulated in the terms of reference belong to ActionAid Nigeria
Place of Work & Administrative Support:
- Unless otherwise agreed, the Work shall be performed at the Consultant’s place of business. Facilities, where there is convincing need for such, will be provided as necessary by ActionAid Nigeria. Technical and other editorial support, supplies and equipment necessary to accomplish tasks are to be provided by the Consultant.
Application Closing Date
6th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications (Expression of Interests) to: Procurement.Nigeria@actionaid.org