Core Group Polio Project – Program Manager Job at the International Medical Corps
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations. International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013, and currently has projects in two States (Kano and Borno). In Borno, International Medical Corps has been actively implementing interventions to support vulnerable populations recently affected by conflict and displacement due to insurgency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Core Group Polio Project – Program Manager
Project Summary/Job Description
IMC is implementing an emergency integrated Health, GBV and WASH program in Maiduguri, Jere, Konduga and Mafa LGAs. This support is from OFDA and focuses on capacity building for health workers, rehabilitation of health facilities, and supply of essential medicines. IMC also has nutrition and WASH program in Damboa and Dikwa LGA in Borno, North East Nigeria. The organization provide CMAM/IYCF and is setting up stabilization centers in the two LGAs.
In Kano and Borno, IMC is a consortium member of the Core Group Polio Project in Nigeria. This is a five year Polio Eradication program in covering 06 LGAs in Kano and 10 in Borno. IMC is implementing this project in partnership with CSADI and AHIF in Kano and Borno respectively
IMC is utilizing a three-pronged strategy to implement the Project to increase rates of routine immunization and supplementary immunization activities for children under 5 years of age, focusing especially on polio vaccination. The project 1) re-enforces the Ministry of Health’s routine immunization program to improve its performance, 2) strengthen supplemental polio immunization efforts, and 3) improves community mobilization in support of child immunization and acute flaccid paralysis surveillance. This is to improve the Expanded Program on Immunization services contributing to CGPP’s goal of polio eradication in hard-to-reach communities.
The program manager will be responsible for:
- Overall implementation of a project, including achievement of activity targets; coordination with departments, partners and donors (as required); development and implementation of a project-related M&E system; and, preparation of project reports.
- Ensure correct use of programmatic resources, including management of project budget line items such as project input (supplies and activities), equipment, and direct project hires. Understanding of project award agreements and donor standards, compliance requirements and regulations (including those related to procurement).
- Organize and coordinate regular project reviews, financial pipeline inputs and close-out meetings.
- Develop and maintain updated key project management tools, including procurement plans, financial pipelines, activity work-plans and indicator trackers.
- Timely initiation of project implementation actions, including staff recruitment and submission of procurement requests.
- To support and build capacity of local CBO that are working in partnership with IMC
- Supervise and mentor state team leads and field teams
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Program Finance, Logistics and Administration:
- Prepare a detailed weekly/monthly activity and budget plan for CGPP activities and ensure implementation of planned activities according to the work plan adhering to the budget according to IMC standards and oversee program spending per budgets and pipelines
- work with logistics and administrative/finance to conduct training, coaching and supervision of health facility staff
- As budget holders work with other sector leads to follow up staff recruitment and training, conduct performance monitoring in collaboration with HR, ensure that standards and protocols are adhered to
- monitor and adhere to GIK distribution to ensure that the supplies are distributed timely and efficiently
- Organize and follow-up on all other procurements needed for the project
Personnel management and capacity building:
- work with other technical sector leads to ensure sector integration and effective implementation
- conducting learning assessment for CGPP staff; develop a training program to meet these needs;
- Facilitate the development/adaptation of nutrition education training manuals and facilitator’s
- Assist and support State Polio Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) in planning polio programme.
- Support the Social Mobilization officer to follow up and document regular meetings with key influencers
- Document monthly quality, action-oriented monthly review meetings at State level.
- Participate in planning events & meetings
- Support the local CBO and provide analytical and constructive feedback to monthly reports from CBOs
- Conduct regular and frequent supportive supervision to CBOs to improve program quality and accountability
- Represent International Medical Corps at all relevant coordination meetings at national and state level as appropriate.
- Create and maintain smooth relations and open collaboration with Government and local stakeholders and serve as the health and nutrition resource person
Program Implementation and Development:
- Participate in needs assessments for potential funding opportunities.
- Ensure strong linkage of CGPP to other sectors such as health, nutrition GBV, WASH and Food security as appropriate.
- Work closely with the M&E team to ensure robust and comprehensive reporting systems and data flow mechanisms
- Ensure proper functioning of reporting systems for regular assessment, monitoring and evaluation of the program against its objectives and expected results.
- Conduct critical monitoring of all aspects of the project identify areas of concern. Prepare and implement workable solutions for identified challenges
- Follow up of project implementation to review progress towards objectives through organizing regular review meetings, update and experience sharing meeting among staffs.
- Oversight of IMC staff across the field sites. Provide technical support and direct supervision of field site support staff and collaboration with district medical team on proper implementation of the service.
- Work with the M&E team to implement and evaluate data quality assurance measures and ensure appropriate follow up.
- Ensure that the community based feedback mechanism is integrated in all LGAs sites where IMC is implementing the CGPP activities. Utilize this mechanism to provide response and feedback to target communities.
- Prepare and provide regular monthly progress reports in coordination with the M&E Officer
- Provide monthly work-plan, pipeline and procurement plan update
General International Medical Corps code of conduct and ethics:
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within International Medical Corps and amongst beneficiaries served by International Medical Corps.
- Ensure application and compliance of security protocols and policies ; serve as security focal point in the field sites
Compliance & Ethics:
- Promotes and encourages a culture of compliance and ethics throughout International Medical Corps. As applicable to the position, maintains a clear understanding of International Medical Corps’ and donor compliance and ethics standards and adheres to those standards.
- Conducts work with the highest level of integrity. Communicates these values to staff and to partners and requires them to adhere to these values.
- The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Medicine, Nursing, Environment Health with an advanced University degree Public Health, Epidemiology is required.
- Certified training in project planning and management, monitoring and evaluation, is an added advantage
- Data management, data analysis, and information operations.
- Minimum 5 years of progressively responsible public health project management work experience
- Experience in high-risk environments required, experience in L3/L2 emergency is preferred.
- Experience in remote management
- Experience of facilitation of training review meetings and workshops
- Experience on budget and administration logistics and Human Resources management
- Experience on writing / developing project proposals including implementation reports
- Knowledge of North Eastern Nigeria as well as speaking Hausa language is preferred but not required.
- Ability to cope with stress; hardship; patience and flexibility and willingness to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively with government, community leaders, international/national organizations, donors, partners and other International Medical Corps relationships.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of MS Office, and other computer applications
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in rural areas where the project is implemented
- Demonstrated experience and skills in ensuring community participation and gender issues in humanitarian programming
- Ability to provide technical support for IMC staffs and government health workers on proper implementation of the service.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Application Closing Date
7th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications addressing it to the “Human Resource Manager, International Medical Corps” via the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email, application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.