Project Finance Administrator Position at Oxfam Nigeria
Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Finance Administrator
Internal Job Grade: D1
Contract type: 1 Year Fixed Term
Job Family: Business Support
Reporting to: Project Manager
- The Finance Administrator will support the delivery of all financial management functions of according to Oxfam Financial Manual, including but not limited to petty cash management, time sheets recording, monthly payroll processing and the monitoring of financial activities and requirements as they relate specifically to Oxfam’s relationship with partner organisations.
- S/he will check all expense supporting documentation to ensure compliance with organization’s policies and related law, prior to obtaining approvals and payment processing.
- S/he will coordinate and act as focal point for issues relating to finance at the Bauchi office.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for the management and supervision of financial administration systems and procedures of the LINE Project, to ensure full compliance with Oxfam and Global Affairs Canada financial management rules and requirement
- Responsible for verification of expenditure and implementation of corresponding payments and recoveries after their authorization by the Project Manager
- Keeps all financial records and transactions relating to the LINE project in Bauchi state in accordance with Global Affairs Canada and Oxfam Novib procedures and submits timely replenishment requests and reports
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports/statements for the project in line with standard accounting principles-including budget tracking and preparation of budget variance analysis
- Prepares cash flow statement and cash forecasts for the project as and when needed
- Liaises with the Administrative Officer (Procurement) and Finance and Support Manager (FSM) in Abuja to ensure optimum operations of the LINE project
- Designs and implements a Grant Management System for partners and ensures timely, effective financing and reporting from the same.
- Supports internal and external auditing processes by providing all supporting documentation in an orderly and timely manner.
- Ensures that all payment request forms, invoices, LPOs, receipts and any other payment documents are critically checked for accuracy and correctness and meet the organization’s minimum standard.
- Ensures proper and accurate coding of expenditure on all primary documentation.
- Processes all bank drafts and Tele graphic transfers, and liaises with banking managers on collection of bank statements in a timely manner.
- Collects petty cash from the bank for operational use.
- Acts as contact person with the bank to operate banking duties as required for effective management of the project and as specified by the Project Manager.
- Assumes full responsibility for ensuring cash books based in the Bauchi office are up to date at the end of each working day.
- Ensures records are filed and properly stored, (physically and digitally) as required by Oxfam Process and procedures.
- Ensure detailed and accurate records of all financial transactions are maintained physically and electronically in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- To perform any other duties that may be delegated by the Project Manager.
- Manages and mentors a Finance Assistant and other administrative support staff in line with the approved organogram
- Participate in regular meetings with partner organisations to ensure that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open, and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives
- Generate, review , track and manage Budget Vs Actuals report of expenditures and advise Project Management and Country office management in order to ensure optimal burn rate for the LINE project is maintained ..
- May be required to sit on procurement committees and provide financial oversight in the procurement process
Educational, Experience & Competence
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or any other financial related course.
- Minimum of 5 years Practical experience of all core financial management & Accounting activities, including accounts payable, bookkeeping cash management, budget development, statutory requirements and standard accounts
- Ideally 3 years out of this should have been on Contract and Grant Management within an NGO setting with a proven knowledge and experience of grant accounting and sound experience with donors funding regulations, procedures and reporting requirements
- Strong numerical skills and experience using a computerised financial management information system
- Good analytical skills and experience using a computerised information management system (Ms. Word, Excel, Accounting software etc.)
- A critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and colleagues and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards
- Excellent organization skills and flexible approach to planning comprehensively, managing and prioritizing effectively a high workload and multiple tasks and deadline
- Ability to adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with a proven proactive approach to identifying and resolving problems and suggesting improvements that continuously seek to provide a better service to Oxfam.
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English and at least one main local language widely spoken in Northern Nigeria.
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations
- Commitment to gender and diversity and to addressing inequality in all aspects of this job.
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably cooperative with members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Recognised accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) and relevant post qualification experience
- Knowledge or experience of Oxfam’s (or similar organisation’s) program work, including field experience and/or with institutional donors
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools.
Key Behavioural Competencies:
- Relationship Building: Must understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. Candidate should have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
- Humility: Must put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. Candidate must not be concerned with hierarchical power, and should engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
- Listening: Must be good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Must be able to send out messages clearly to others, and consider different preferences.
- Mutual Accountability: Must be able to explain decisions and how they have been taken based on our organizational values. Candidates must be ready to be held to account for their actions and behaviors, as well as hold others accountable in a consistent manner.
- Systems Thinking: Must view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation.
- Candidate must have the ability to focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking, candidate must be aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organizational decisions and actions.
Application Closing Date
10th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Application Letters and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title as the subject of the email.
Click Here to download Job Description (PDF)
Note: Applications not sent in the required format may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for assessment and interview.