Principal Officer, Human Resources Development for Health at ECOWAS
The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region. Considered one of the pillars of the African Economic Community, the organization was founded in order to achieve collective self-sufficiency for its member states by creating a single large trading bloc through an economic and trading union. It also serves as a peacekeeping force in the region. The organization operates officially in three co-equal languages French, English, and Portuguese.
The West African Health Organisation is seeking applications from suitably qualified ECOWAS Citizens candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Officer, Human Resources Development for Health
Reference: VN 86
Location: WAHO, Bobo Dioulasso, Burkina Faso
Office/Unit: Primary Health Care
Nature of Appointment: Permanent
Immediate Supervisor: Director, Primary Health Care
Summary of post and assigned duties
- Under the supervision of the Director of Primary Health Care, the incumbent will carry out a range of activities in support of Human Resource Development for Health, in collaboration with appropriate professional groups, training institutions, and other key partners.
- The main objective is to ensure the identification of gaps in the training needs of Member States and putting in place mechanisms to provide these trainings.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will:
- Facilitate and support basic, post basic and post-graduate training of all categories of medical and allied health professionals and where necessary obtain sponsorship for such training.
- Promote the exchange of personnel and health technology among Member States.
- Identify and facilitate the accreditation of Institutions in the region that can be used for training of all categories of health professionals at all levels.
- Take steps to harmonize post-graduate programmes, certificates and diplomas in the region and ensure that the harmonized curricula are adapted to meet health service needs of the ECOWAS region.
- Facilitate and support the strengthening of training institutions to meet the accreditation criteria based on the harmonized curricula.
- Forge networks with health funding organisations to facilitate sponsorships for health programmes.
- Organize courses, seminars and workshops for dissemination of information and updating the health personnel knowledge at all levels based on identified training needs of Member states and current trends.
- Support the exchange of trainers and trainees amongst Institutions in the region.
- Facilitate and support the mutual recognition of Health Professionals qualifications in the ECOWAS region.
- Facilitate the development of innovative learning strategies such as distance learning, continuing professional development.
- Facilitate and support the development and implementation of Human Resources for Health Policies and Plans for Member States.
- Organize meetings of the Technical Committee for Human Resources Development for Health.
- Ensure the efficient and effective use of such resources in compliance with ECOWAS financial, regulations, and procedures.
Education and Professional Profile
Candidates for this position:
- Shall possess a minimum of a First Degree from a recognised university in any of the following specialization: Medicine, Environmental Health Sciences, Pharmacy, Nursing, Health Education, Public Health, Human Resource Management or relevant area.
- Possession of a certificate or higher post-graduate and professional qualification in Human Resources Management will be an advantage.
Experience and Key Competencies
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience after basic training in any of the major components of Human Resources Development for Health or Human Resources Management. Should have experience working with regional/international health organizations.
- A higher qualification in the relevant (Master’s Doctorate) field will reduce the number of years of experience by 2 years
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate leadership ability, cognitive and psychomotor skills.
- Demonstrate effective organizational skills with the ability to prioritize work load, set and meet deadlines, handle multiple tasks simultaneously and attend to details.
- Demonstrate ability to work within a multinational environment and with a diverse range of people and organisations at the national, regional and global levels.
- Demonstrate skills in the use of modern applications in information technology.
Age and Citizenship:
- Candidates must not be more than 50 years of age at the time of recruitment and must be an ECOWAS citizen.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French or Portuguese) and a working knowledge of one other would be an advantage.
33.607 UA per annum.
Application Closing Date
2nd April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: email@example.com