Food Security Coordinator Role at the Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Food Security Coordinator
Ref. no.: 3702734959
Job Type: Full time
NRC is looking for a Food Security Coordinator for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Food Security Coordinator is to Develop and Implement programme activities in Maiduguri and in the field offices
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Food Security Coordinator reports to the Food Security Programme Development Manager.
- Line management of Food Security project field staff
- Contribute to Food Security strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Food Security projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from Project Manager in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Project Manager (Area Manager and Core Competencies if no Project Manager)
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Develop and manage project budget, as delegated from Project Manager
- Visit on a regular basis the area of implementation and check the quality of the ongoing and completed works, make correction and provide relevant recommendations.
- In collaboration with the Food Security Project Manager and Area Manager, play a key role in recruiting Food Security field staff
- In coordination with the Food Security Project Manager, represent NRC in coordination meetings with local authorities and NGOs when required
- Experience from working as a Food Security Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- At least 2 years proven experience in Cash/ voucher transfers, Income Generation Activities and Backyard Vegetable Gardening
- Experience in proposal development
- Experience in report writing
- Able to speak fluent Kanuri and Hausa language
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Highest standard of ethics and integrity
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: April 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
Application Closing Date
17th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online