Stabilization Center Coordinator (Medical Doctor) Job at Plan International
Plan International Nigeria is part is the global federation of Plan International and was registered as a National Organization in 2014 in Nigeria. Plan International works in 52 developing Countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised through the delivery of high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Stabilization Center Coordinator (Medical Doctor)
Department & Location: Programmes, Maiduguri field Office based on Mafa town, Mafa LGA
Reports to: Emergency Nutrition Specialist
- The position holder is overall responsible to lead the Therapeutic Feeding Unit (TFU)/stabilization centre component of Community Based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM) implementation in the LGA and working closely with the LGA health workers, and SC colleagues for the effective implementation and linkage of CMAM program with the community and facility. In addition the position holder is also expected to provide a consistent and high quality technical support in relation to CMAM implementation and will assist CMAM officers, and others staff in the LGA to build strong CMAM implementation package.
Dimensions of Role
- The incumbent will be over all responsible for diagnosing complicated SAM case using physical examinations and different laboratory tests in Mafa SC site in collaboration with other plan International nutrition staff and SMOH staff.
- Based on their findings, prescribe required treatment and medications to attempt to heal any illnesses or injuries as per SAM inpatient management protocol of Nigeria and World Health Organization.
- Examines patients/clients in line with standard medical procedures using various types of diagnostic mechanisms;
- Administers and prescribes drugs based on analysis of examination, test reports and findings and counselling services as National and WHO SAM inpatient management protocol;
- Manages the project unit’s implementation of nutrition program in agreement with the overall CMAM Program activities specially Stabilization centre/ therapeutic feeding unit and the National manual in the management of SAM,
- Makes sure that stabilization centre/ therapeutic feeding unit is implemented according to the National protocol and WHO guideline i.e. application of the admission and discharge criteria, complication treatment, therapeutic feeding, closely monitors and strictly follows anthropometry measurement
- Ensures the availability of job aids, reporting formats, therapeutic products (f75, F100 and RUTF) and drugs for program implementation in SC
- Plan and organize SC at designated SC sites in liaison with SMoH staff and other nutrition staff.
- Work closely CMAM officer, SC officer, IYCF Officer and community mobilization officer to ensure all aspects of the program are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to OTP and SC sites.
- Work closely with other partners implementing OTP for proper referral and monitoring of beneficiaries at OTP level
- Ensure the multi-chart/inpatient card has properly filled and monitored and corrective action has taken on daily basis.
- Makes sure that health professionals from the health facilities to participate on the daily routine work for sustainability and smooth phase out strategy,
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all children are screened correctly.
- Ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including admission, discharge and transfer to and from the OTP/SC.
- Ensure comprehensive health checks and correct clinical diagnosis at the time of assessment according to the CMAM protocols so that the patient receives appropriate treatment in the relevant program.
- Ensure all children in SC are immunized according to the national protocols.
- Ensure timely identification of complications, non-responders, and referrals to further investigation and management.
- Ensure correctness, consistence and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of all medical and food supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics
- Provide key Nutrition and Health education messages to beneficiaries based the protocol and guidelines
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the program admission and discharge whenever necessary at the SC sites.
- Follow-up and ensure the field team interacts with the beneficiaries properly
- Provide a daily/weekly and Monthly CMAM report to the SC doctors/nutrition coordinator.
- Upholds the image and values of Plan international Nigeria at all times,
- Performs other related tasks as required, like control and facilitation of vehicle movement within the project area in the field Prepare and submit regular monthly and quarterly logistic activity reports to the project/office managers.
Qualification and Experience
- B.Sc Degree (Medical Doctor) in Medicine with experience in emergency nutrition response speciality complicated SAM management in Stabilization centre and clinical experience in Under five children illness Diagnosis and treatment in hospital
- Over one (2) years’ experience in complicated SAM case management in SC and CMAM programmes
- Valid and current practicing license.
- Excellent report-writing skills is an additive
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of PLAN’S aims, values and principles.
- Applicants from Borno State are encourage to apply.
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
Coordination & Representation:
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to Plan management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for Plan programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop Plan programs.
Learning and knowledge management:
- Shares relevant information within the team establishing and supporting the proper documentation of activities
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the Child Protection in Emergencies Specialist for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Support the preparation of reports for domestic and international consumption.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Report to the Child Protection specialist;
- Provide support to Plan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of operations and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Provides good and adequate administrative and logistical support to enable programmes to meet meets it’s agreed financial and program outcomes.
- Actively seeks for support in addressing difficulties in execution of duties.
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Travel extensively to lead and supervise programme activities.
Level of Contact with Children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have very frequent contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
14th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s to: Nigeria.Recruitment@plan-international.org using the position applied for as the subject.