Driver Opportunity at the British Council
The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Driver
Role Type: Business Delivery
Pay Band: 1/k
Duration: Fixed Term (Three Years)
Reports to: State Office Admin & Resource Assistant
- The Driver will be responsible for providing safe, secure and efficient transportation of personnel and resources and taking proper care of vehicles in accordance with the organisation’s policies and standards.
Accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Clearly providing timely communication regarding transport arrangements and any changes to transport users and the State Team Lead.
- Raising advances relating to journeys and making retirements according to agreed time standards for same.
- To render transport assistance to officers and or consultants involved in programme delivery activities.
- To undertake logistical support to designated workshops, meetings and events according to stated requirements.
- Carry out routine mail dispatch service as may be required. Vehicle Maintenance and record management
- Ensure vehicles are serviced in line with the service schedule and that periodic routine vehicle checks are made and that defects and damage are reported promptly. Vehicles are clean and refuelled regularly.
- Daily internal and external maintenance checks on all programme vehicles to ensure all vehicles are roadworthy before the start of any journey.
- Carry out driving and transportation duties in relation to travel bookings, activity and event management and maintain vehicle log books, journey and fuel records.
Team Support and Contribution:
- To assist in taking photographs in events and assembling newspaper and magazine clips where necessary and practical.
- To seek to understand the interdependencies and connections that the FCR programmes have with other organisations and manage such relationships within own work area. Customer Service
- Excellent customer service delivery as the first point of contact to British Council visitors and colleagues at the airport.
- Provide ad hoc advice and information to visitors regarding the local area and transport facilities (programme and non-programme).
Continuous Professional Development:
- To ensure personal development on IT skills for wider administrative assistance.
- Regular Defensive Driver Training courses to be arranged by the British Council
- National Programme Managers, Technical Lead, Operation Managers, State Team Lead (STL), Procurement and Estate Manager, HR Manager, Finance Manager, Programme Officers, Admin and Resource Assistants
- Other members of the Support Team
- All Visiting National and International Consultants
- Other Project Teams
- External relationship management where appropriate (i.e. linked to function of role), to include: EU, consultants, external partner organisations, MDAs etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Secondary School Certificate Examination (SSCE) or equivalent.
- Intermediate level driving certificate.
- Fluent written and spoken Hausa.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a driver with an international organization.
- Experience of working as part of a successful team/function.
- Knowledge of traffic rules and road network in the North East region.
- Basic IT skills including word and excel and excellent customer service skills.
Application Closing Date
16th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more Job Description (PDF)
Click here to download BC Behaviour (pdf)
Click here to download BC Core skills (MS Word)
Note: That you should only fill out the application after thoroughly reading through the Role Profile & Guidance. There’s some important information you don’t want to miss