ICLA Assistant Job at the Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICLA Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full time
Reports to: the ICLA Officer.
- NRC is looking for an ICLA Assistant for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the ICLA Assistant is to ensure the Implementation and impact of ICLA programme activities in Maiduguri and in the field offices
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about ICLA activities to ensure accountability.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Assist the Project officer to ensure that procurement and distribution of materials and are timely and according to procedures
- Participate and contribute in the development/modification of Housing, Land & Property (HLP)and Community Dispute
- Resolution (CDR) training modules
- Participate and contribute in the development of HLP and ID IEC materials
- Assist in the direct implementation of ICLA project activities
- Implement the legal assistance programs including HLP , CDR and identity documentation activities innovatively to adapt to location and context, in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements and optimise opportunities for synergies
- University Degree in Law from a recognized Nigerian University, and a thorough knowledge of Nigerian law;
- Work experience in the field of law (e.g. courts, attorney or legal aid agencies), preferably experience in working with clients;
- Valid membership to the Nigerian Bar Association
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online