ICLA Officer Role at the Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ICLA Officer
Ref. no.: 3710745281
Job Type: Full time
- NRC is looking for an ICLA Officer for our area office in Maiduguri in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the ICLA Officer is to ensure the Implementation and impact of ICLA programme activities in Maiduguri and in the field offices
- NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
- The ICLA Officer reports to the ICLA Coordinator.
- Daily supervision of ICLA Assistants
- Actively facilitate and maintain Liaison and collaboration with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums/cluster/working groups
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities to ensure accountability.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Implement the legal assistance programs including Housing Land & Property (HLP), Community Dispute Resolution (CDR) and identity documentation activities innovatively to adapt to location and context, in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements and optimise opportunities for synergies
- Support and integrate gender, protection and advocacy priorities into ICLA programme design
- Contribute to the development of the ICLA strategy, technical SOPs / guidelines and Macro LFAs for Nigeria
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria
- Experience with humanitarian activities
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from practice as a lawyer.
- Must have a good knowledge of the laws and policies governing HLP issues and Identity documentation
- Must possess a bachelor of law degree and must have been called to the Nigerian Bar( be able to practice as a lawyer in Nigeria) and be conversant with international humanitarian and Human Rights law
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: March 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
Application Closing Date
24th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV
- There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.