Livelihood and Cash Officer Job at Plan International
Plan International Nigeria is part is the global federation of Plan International and was registered as a National Organization in 2014 in Nigeria. Plan International works in 52 developing Countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas. Plan’s Global Strategic Goals (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s Rights and Equality for Girls ad our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalised through the delivery of high-quality programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Livelihood and Cash Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Contract duration: 5 Months and renewable based on availability of funding and satisfactory performance.
Reports to: Livelihood/Cash Specialist with General supervision by Project Manager
- Plan International Nigeria is seeking to implement Cash Based Transfer (CBT) + Integrated Nutrition Programme (INP) project funded by World Food Programme (WFP).
- This position is responsible for Livelihood and Cash activities in close collaboration with Cash and Nutrition team implementing the CBT + INP project funded by WFP.
- The post holder will support the implementation of the Livelihoods and Cash activities including SCOPE registration of beneficiaries in the community in accordance with Plan International’s Cash and nutrition activities in Emergencies response in North East Nigeria.
- The Livelihood and Cash Officer will be supervised directly by the WFP CBT+INP Project manager with technical support and supervision from the Livelihoods specialist.
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates with the project manager, across Plan International and with WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies.
- The post holder will support the establishment of a robust livelihood, market and cash sectoral system.
- The post holder will interface and support programme team members and programme coordination.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Programme development & Quality Management In collaboration with the Field Team and Livelihood/Cash Specialist, the Livelihood/Cash officer will:
- Support the development and implementation of Livelihood/ Cash component implementation plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all SCOPE registration and in kind/cash distribution activities
- Support to ensure that livelihood/cash-specific elements of community and field level staff and volunteers capacity strengthening plans are successfully implemented.
- Report results of Livelihood/Cash activities by providing written documentation aboutprogress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Provide leadership at project location level on Livelihood/Cash activities to ensure project technical integrity to achieve project/program goal and corresponding objectives and targets
- Ensure high-quality implementation, in close collaboration with the Field based team and sector Specialists (Cash or Nutrition) and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems Lead efforts at project location to conduct project interventions activities (livelihood/ Cash), document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision- making
- Lead efforts to training distribution assistants and Financial Services agents to set-up systems for effective cash/in-kind distribution and crowd control at such events to facilitate record keeping
- Utilize the pre/post distribution assessment data collected to inform strategic decision-making and project planning
- Support the project team to conduct targeted evaluations and operations research, including design, data collection, management and analysis for livelihood/cash activities.
- Cultivate strategic sectors relationships and networks, and act as alternative representative of the livelihood and cash sector in WFP, FSSWG, ERLWG and CWG meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Support to ensure that relevant data (5Ws, 3Ws and related MIS data) are entered into organization-wide data management system designed to capture, analyse, and disseminate project data Support the dissemination of project information among the project team
- Facilitate Livelihood/Cash capacity-building activities with project staff and Cooperating Partner Agencies /WFP.
Human Resource Development:
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of field level and community based staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with organisational requirements
Learning and knowledge management:
- Shares information within the project team about livelihood, market and cash assessment findings and lessons learnt in a logical and regular manner.
- More specifically shares information within the project team about pre/post distribution monitoring, price monitoring, findings and lessons learnt in a systematic timely manner.
- Shares information within the programme team about livelihood, market and cash approaches and supports the documentation of lessons learnt, approaches and good practices.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing with WFP and among WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies in the northeast and supports such processes within and between Plan International offices at Country, National and Regional levels.
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the project manager or Sector Specialist for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant information for project reports and proposals for Plan International domestic and international consumption as directed by his/her supervisor.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s project/ programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the project/ programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in International Relation, Agriculture or Business Administration and a minimum of 2- year of work experience in Livelihood/Cash operation with an emergency or development program or banking institution – Required.
- Prior experience with Plan International or local partner organization or a microfinance bank is – preferred.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Proven expertise and understanding of diverse cash transfer modalities
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public and NGO sectors.
- Strong understanding of cash transfer policy and compliance requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English/ Hausa including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for report writing.
- Familiarity with cash based transfer, group organizing and mobilization for safety net projects
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to utilization of digital platform for cash transfer.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages (Excel/Word document)
- Ability to travel nationally at short notice.
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands
- Based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with travel to the communities to ensure that project is effectively monitored
Level of Contact with Children:
- High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have medium to low contact with women and children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and a comprehensive Cover Letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: Nigeria.Recruitment@plan-international.org Indicate the Job Title and location as subject if the mail
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities
- Plan International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are encouraged to apply.