Project Finance Officer Position at Plan International
Plan International is an independent global child rights organisation committed to supporting vulnerable and marginalized children and their communities to be free from poverty. By actively connecting committed people with powerful ideas, we work together to make positive, deep-rooted and lasting changes in children and young people’s lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Finance Officer
Reports to: Humanitarian Finance Coordinator
- Plan International is looking for a project finance officer to support the the WFP CBT+INP project to achieve accountability and transparency in use of funds.
- The purpose of this role is to provide timely, accurate financial information and ensure that grants expenditures are in line with specific FAD/donor requirements. The role’s support is to the Humanitarian Programs
- 5 Months and renewable based on availability of funding and satisfactory performance.
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates with the project team and finance coordinator including WFP and other Cooperating Partner Agencies. The post holder will support project team to mainstream good accounting practices for gender and child protection in humanitarian actions.
- The post holder will interface and support project team members to coordinate protection issues and concern during field level activities.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Programme development & Quality Management:
In collaboration with the Project Manager, Humanitarian Finance Team, the Project Finance Officer will:
- Collaborate with the project manager to ensure that queries related to payments are timely resolved (return payments, under/over payments of staff, suppliers and contractors incorrect account details etc)
- Follow up to ensure prompt processing of daily vendor payments, staff advance and ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before payment is done;
- Verify that all transactions have complete and accurate supporting documents and ensure that all costs are timely booked into SAP platform on a daily, weekly and monthly basis;
- Follow-up tracking system for advances and ensure that clearance of advances is done on time;
- Ensure that weekly, monthly finance reports are prepared on time;
- Prepare day to day financial transactions
- Prepare post-backs for SAP import
- Archiving of financial documents;
- Ensure that Plan International and Donor guide lines are adhered to
- Follow up on other tasks assigned by line manager
- Provide financial leadership to project team in accordance with Plan policies and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure that feedback systems are in place for appropriate identification, responses and follow-up for all financial matters.
- Ensure regular communication with Project Manager and Finance Team to integrate appropriate financial guideline in project service delivery.iv. Collaborate with other project staff to ensure feedback on financial transaction are effected.
- Staff Supervision & Development
- Ensure training, support and coaching for project staff to uphold Plan financial guidelines and policies as well as donor guidelines.
- Grant Planning & Implementation
- Produce weekly and monthly data and regular financial reports for different stakeholders and information to feed into donor financial report.
- Supports implementation and ensure adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans.
Monitoring & Reporting:
- Initiate and provide inputs into and consolidate weekly, monthly and quarterly financial reports showing BVA on budget lines and activities; Submit reports for all field expenditure.
- Maintain effective and efficient oversight, quality control and reporting systems and processes that ensure regular budget monitoring and modifications as required.
- Contribute to high-quality Plan International and donor financial reports on activities, indicators and achievements, as well as best practices and lessons learned.
- Coordination & Representation
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with finance team of key stakeholders, including UNICEF and WFP cooperating partner agencies.
- Regularly attend WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies Finance team meetings, or as directed to contribute to coordination of project financial matters.
- Contribute to the development of the Annual Work and Budget Planning Meetings.
- Contribute to proposal development activities (narrative and budget) through planning and program design with relevant project staff and ensure technical standards are taken into consideration
Human Resource Development
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of project staff to ensure a high level of financial propriety in line with organisational requirements
Learning and knowledge management:
- Shares relevant information within the team establishing and supporting the proper documentation of expenditure and burn rate.
- Participates in regional/national projects/networks as requested.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems:
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the project manager or Sector Specialist for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant information for project reports and proposals for Plan International domestic and international consumption as directed by his/her supervisor.
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s project/ programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the project/ programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Qualifications and Experience
- Higher National Diploma or Degree in Accounting– Required.
- Minimum of 4 years’ post NYSC working experience as a finance or accounting staff with a private institution or NGO
- Experience working with and providing capacity development assistance to sub- grantees – Preferred
- Excellent and demonstrable experience in grant and financial management – Essential.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook–Preferred.
- Experience in the use of SAP and Pastel Accounting Software – Advantage
- Knowledge and understanding of Nigeria’s financial policy environment – Preferred.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including good listening skills, influencing, negotiation, and coaching – Required.
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and to work effectively in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment respecting diversity – Essential.
- Personal qualities: Team player, clear communicator, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well under minimal supervision, and a commitment to child rights and gender equality.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and knowledge of local language strongly desired
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with travel to the communities to ensure that project is effectively monitored
Level of Contact with Children:
- Low contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have low level of contact with women and children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV’s and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: Nigeria.Recruitment@Plan-international.org Indicating the job title and location as subject of the mail
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.