Administrative Assistant Job at the African Development Bank Group
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50001224
- The Vice-Presidency Agriculture, Human and Social Development is a sector Complex whose primary objective is to realise the High 5s “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa” as well as the Bank’s Ten-year Strategy.
- Falling under the general services category that provide administrative support for the smooth running of the Complex, the position of Administrative Assistant aims to free the Vice President from all tasks that might otherwise hinder her in effectively accomplishing her mission
- The Administrative Assistant must ensure that the operations proceed smoothly within the office of the Vice-President. His/her work will facilitate and contribute to the success of the Vice President in fulfilling her role as a key officer in the Bank’s strategy aimed at achieving the High 5s.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and supervision of the Vice President of Agriculture, Human and Social Development, the Administrative Assistant shall perform the following tasks:
- Develop and maintain effective office automation systems;
- Provide support and follow-up on correspondence and routine administrative processes;
- Handle correspondence and tasks in accordance with the formats defined by the Bank and verify any typographical errors, presentation, completeness and procedural accuracy of all documents submitted to the Vice-President for authorization, approval or signature;
- Review and prioritize important correspondence and tasks to be performed;
- Monitor and ensure that tasks are carried out diligently and on time.
- Ensure that sensitive and confidential information is securely filed.
- Receive, inform and guide staff and external partners who will be in contact with the Office of the Vice President;
- Follow up and process documents;
- Distribute documents issued by the Office of the Vice President and ensure, as required, that a monitoring system is in place;
- Provide administrative support to the Vice-President and Front Office, including in management of the filing and document retrieval system;
- Manage the schedule of the Vice President;
- Provide logistical assistance to the Vice President for her travel (organise her travel, visas and accommodation);
- Request the assistance of the Complex directors or other Complex vice-presidents to represent the Vice President in the event of unavailability;
- Prepare the meetings or appointments of the Vice-President in advance, by placing at her disposal the agenda, briefs, minutes and relevant documents of such meetings;
- Prioritize telephone calls or appointment requests according to their degree of urgency by liaising with the Advisor;
- Manage logistical aspects: office space; equipment; supplies etc.
- Respond to requests for information from other complexes, departments and from external partners;
- Participate in the logistical organization of events and ceremonies initiated by the Vice President such as meetings, fairs, colloquia, retreats and conferences;
- Select and disseminate information internally and externally;
- Organize filing and archiving of administrative documents on different media (paper and electronic).
Support For Studies and Analyses:
- Maintain an up-to-date paper and electronic filing system to meet Complex/Front Office needs;
- Produce information documents, spreadsheets and presentations;
- Upon request, take notes at meetings, write letters and prepare minutes;
- Assist, as needed, in monitoring Complex activities using the appropriate software;
- Obtain briefing notes and reference materials for meetings, seminars, workshops, etc., in which the Vice-President will participate, check her availability and ensure that she has the appropriate information and documents;
- Maintain an up-to-date directory of partners working with the division / team;
- Perform any other duties as may be required by the Vice President and her Advisor.
- Assist in performing purchasing functions;
- Process purchase requisitions assigned to the functional group related to the procurement of goods, services and works;
- Receive and review requests for clarity, adequacy of specifications, completeness, additional information and liaise with user services as well as confirm that the budget exists for the requisition.
- Manage the budget allocated to the Vice-Presidency;
- Assist the Vice-Presidency on resource issues such as the administrative budget; track and review expenses and bring relevant issues to the attention of the Vice President;
- Participate in the preparation of the annual and biannual budget reviews by entering the data into the SAP system and participating in monitoring the said data.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management, Marketing, Administration or a related discipline;
- Secretarial and/or administrative and office management training would be an advantage;
- Have a proven minimum of six (6) years of relevant and practical work experience at increasingly high levels of responsibility in the office of an executive, preferably in an international organization or a large, private-sector company;
- Possess sound knowledge of administration and office-support services, particularly regarding systems and procedures;
- Excellent ability to strictly manage a schedule;
- High level of adaptability in peak workload periods and periods of recurrent and fluctuating activities;
- High level of discretion and sense of diplomacy;
- Ability to work under pressure and prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multi-cultural organisation;
- Effectively manage internal and external requests;
- Propose improvements to facilitate the operation of the service;
- Ability to apply sound judgment and make reasonable decisions in the absence of supervision;
- Ability to work and cooperate with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent customer-service skills, good organizational skills, ability to multi-task, pay attention to detail and work with a multi-disciplinary team;
- Ability to manage simultaneous and changing demands and priorities as well as tight deadlines;
- Ability to use standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopier, etc.);
- Proven commitment to providing excellent customer service focused on reception and administration services;
- Strong writing skills;
- Communication skills;
- Problem-solving skills;
- Teamwork and sound interpersonal skills;
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Proficiency in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and SAP).
Application Closing Date
28th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online