Media Liaison Officer Position at Seefar Nigeria
Seefar – We are a social enterprise with a mission to work with vulnerable people to build a better future. We specialise in justice, migration and social inclusion. Our expertise is in strategic communications, counseling, consulting, monitoring and evaluation, and research. We work in East Asia, South Asia, the Middle East, East Africa, North Africa, the Sahel and Europe.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Media Liaison Officer
Location: Edo and Lagos
Project Type: Contract
Duration: One Year
- Seefar is seeking multiple passionate people to help guide Nigerian individuals who consider taking irregular migration in understanding the realities of life in destination countries, the status of migrants in destination countries, the risks of the journey and alternatives
- The purpose of the role is to contribute to Seefar’s communication campaign on migration in Nigeria by creating research-based content for TV, radio and online channels such as news stories, articles, opinion pieces, social media posts, radio discussions, talk shows, documentaries, etc in Edo and Yoruba accompanied by a high standard English translation on the realities of irregular migration and working with the media to pitch story ideas on this topic.
- This role demands someone who is smart, intrinsically motivated, worldly and interested in hard challenges. Seefar has a track record for delivering research, consulting, program design and evaluations and strategic communications projects, including on migration and human trafficking issues.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator for Nigeria as well as the campaign’s strategic communication manager, you will be responsible for providing the following services:
- Publishing the content or get it published in local media;
- Using and expanding your network of local media contacts, stimulate local media interest in the issue of irregular migration;
- Stimulating the creation of talk shows and documentaries where possible;
- Maintaining accurate records of all your work activities and provide reports according to instructions that your supervisor will provide to you;
- Maintaining an open line of communication with your supervisor and make yourself available for meetings with them;
- Advising the Enterprise on challenges and opportunities for effective implementation of the project;
- Preparing and translating other informational materials when requested;
- Maintain an updated list of target media outlets (including TV, radio, print, online) and journalists that might be interested in stories on irregular migration;
- As needed, provide training and information materials to target media outlets and journalists on irregular migration;
- Create story ideas and content for target media outlets, including news articles, features, opinion pieces, social media posts, talk shows and documentaries, and pitch this to media outlets and journalists;
- Maintain accurate records of all your work activities and collect copies of all media coverage achieved;
- Follow developments in Nigeria’s media sector and media landscape and provide updates as needed on this;
- Advise Seefar on any challenges and opportunities for effective implementation of the project;
- Prepare and translate other informational materials when requested;
- Following the Enterprise’s policies, procedures and instructions; and
- Maintaining the confidentiality of your work.
- An existing network of media contacts;
- Good understanding of how to build effective media relationships;
- Good understanding of what makes a news story;
- Good writing skills in Edo and/or Yoruba;
- Fluent in written and spoken English; and
- Good computer literacy and access to the internet.
- Fluency in Yoruba/Edo as well as written fluency in English;
- Computer literacy and access to the internet,
- The ability to travel throughout Edo State, Lagos State
Application Closing Date
23rd February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org