U.S. Consulate Chauffeur/Scooter Driver Recruitment
The U.S. Consulate in Lagos, is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the General Services Office (GSO):
Job Title: Chauffeur/Scooter Driver – FSN-03/FP-BB
Work Hours: Full-Time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- Incumbent operates assigned vehicles and/or scooter to deliver passengers, packages and freight to and from the Warehouse, U.S. Consulate General, Embassy Abuja, commercial or residential locations throughout Nigeria and neighboring countries as directed.
- Coordinates and assists in loading operations to ensure loads are properly secured and do not exceed weight limits for the vehicle as well as ensure that tire pressures are proper for the load and vehicle and use appropriate handling procedure.
- S/he performs all driver duties and minor mechanical maintenance, including washing and waxing vehicles and scooters, cleaning vehicles interiors, checking and correcting vehicle fluid levels, hoses and connections.
- Additionally, s/he reports defects and malfunctions to supervisor for repairs and ensures work is done according to standard operating procedures.
Note: All applicants must address each required qualification criteria listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Completion of Secondary School education is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience as a professional chauffeur and scooter is required.
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Writing/Reading in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested. Level III (Good working knowledge) of any local language is required.
- Good geographical knowledge of Lagos, other Nigeria cities and neighboring countries and ability to drive carefully and cautiously in heavy and chaotic traffic situations on poorly maintained roads is required.
- Good knowledge of automotive operations, and safety; and the ability to recognize a dangerous situation and take appropriate action is required.
- Ability to drive a variety of vehicles (bus, sedans, pick-ups, scooters and light trucks) using standard or automatic transmission as well as the ability to drive on short and long trips is required. Must have valid Nigeria Class D driver’s license and the ability to communicate clearly on the phone or by radio when necessary.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
- When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility. If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR Office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
- The U.S. Mission in Nigeria provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race,color religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual,orientation. The Department of State also strives to achieve equal employment opportunity in all personnel operations through continuing diversity enhancement programs.
- The EEO complaint procedure is not available to individuals who believe they have been denied equal opportunity based upon marital status or political affiliation. Individuals with such complaints should avail themselves of the appropriate grievance procedures, remedies for prohibited personnel practices, and/or courts for relief.
OR – Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N3, 213,591 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-03
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – AEFM/EFM – US$23,045 Starting Salary p.a. Grade: FP-BB
Application Closing Date
8th March, 2018.
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS – 174) , or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus,
- Any additional documentation that supports or addresses the requirements listed above (e.g.transcripts, degrees, NYSC certificate/exemption etc.)
- A type – written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e – mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E – mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.