Work as a Registration Assistant at UNHCR
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Registration Assistant
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/018
Location: Calabar, Cross River
Position number: 10028720
Contract Type: Fixed Term Appointment (with possible renewal)
Duration of Contract: 1 year
Supervisor: Protection Officer
Duties And Responsibilities
- The Registration Assistant is a member of the Registration team and is supervised by a more senior member of the team who normally reports directly to the Registration Officer.
- The Registration Assistant is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management.
- S/He responds to queries from asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements as well as liaise with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern for protection follow up.
- The Registration Assistant may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies
The incumbent will have the following responsibilities:
- Conduct registration interviews in accordance with local SOPs and registration standards.
- Respond to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary education preferably with post-secondary training or certificate in social science, statistics, mathematics, information technology or related fields.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant job experience (3 years with post-secondary certificate/training).
- Good computer skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Training in basic principles of international protection.
- Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
Application Closing Date
2nd April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should complete and attach a UN Personal History Form(P11) to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: email@example.com quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- A written test may be conducted for these positions which will be followed by a competency based interview.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please ensure that you use the attached P11 form for your application
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.