Visits Officer Job Opening at The British High Commission
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Visits Officer
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Political
Start Date: 1 May 2018
Main Purpose of Job
- This is an exciting role at the heart of senior engagement in a post that has received renewed, and sustained UK and Ministerial attention since the 2015 elections.
- You will interact with colleagues from across HMG, both in Nigeria and in the UK, and at all levels.
- You will have exposure to the full range of UK work, and play an essential role in helping visitors to understand Nigeria, and the UK’s work here.
Roles and Responsibilities
- As the focal point for Ministerial and senior official travel, you will work with subject matter leads across the UK mission to develop and deliver programmes that align to UK priorities. Visitors will include UK ministers, UK Directors from across government.
- You will also support the High Commissioner and the Deputy High Commissioners travel within Nigeria.
- The Visits Officer role will cover both our Abuja and Lagos offices, so the job owner will gain a good understanding of both teams’ work, as well as that of our other offices in Nigeria.
- Visits from overseas often cover several locations, and can be complicated to deliver.
- You will lead on logistics, coordinate briefing, and co-ordinate all strands of HMG activity that contribute to senior visits.
- This a new role within the Nigeria network, so there is scope to make an impact quickly and to shape the development of this position.
Your responsibilities will include:
- To lead and coordinate planning of each visit from the outset, bringing together all relevant teams and gaining their support to deliver the visit.
- To hold the definitive version of all visit documentation.
- To develop and oversee a forward look of inward travel plans, aligning itineraries to UK priorities, alerting relevant teams to upcoming visits, and de-conflicting competing demands for travel. To work closely with the communications and press team to maximise the impact of visits, and associated UK messaging.
- To maintain a catalogue of briefing notes and a record of previous visits.
- To liaise with the MFA as appropriate on Ministerial and UK visitors.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Previous experience of project, event, or travel management
- Ability to deliver multiple pieces of work simultaneously, with different deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to think on your feet to solve problems or adapt to changing circumstances.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher, in Government, Political Science, Economics, International Relations, Law or related fields.
- Evidence of designing and delivering complex travel or logistics plans
- 3-5 years’ experience in a policy, logistics or programme management role
- Strong collaborative skills including professional and confident communication with external stakeholders and team members
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience:
- Evidence of maintaining effective professional networks of contact
- The ability to work as part of a busy, diverse team, as well as willingness to provide support to team members when necessary
- Familiarity with messaging for political audiences in different context
- Resilience, flexibility and ability to deliver quality under pressure and strict timelines.
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Starting Monthly Salary
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application deadline 8th April, 2018.
- The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
- All applicants must be legally able to work in the country of application with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference and security clearances checks will be conducted. Any questions you may have about this position will be answered during the interview, should you be invited.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework
- candidates not resident in Country will be personally liable for costs and arrangements to relocate, including accommodation and work permits.
- Complete the application form in full as the information provided will be used for screening purposes.
- Check your application and attachments before you submit your application, as you will not be able to make any changes once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never ask you to pay a fee or money to apply for a position.