Senior Youth Engagement Officer Job at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Youth Engagement Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00011
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
For years, the Northeast of Nigeria has been plagued by insurgency and a dire humanitarian crisis. The intense focus on humanitarian and counter-violence activities, coupled with increasingly complex conflict dynamics in the region, has exposed gaps in the international community’s response to new and emerging sources of violence.
Tensions between IDPs and host communities, resistance of communities to accept former fighters and their victims, fear of IDPs to return home and face tensions with those who stayed behind – these are just several evolving sources of conflict. If these issues are not addressed in a timely manner through locally- owned solutions, they have the potential to intensify and worsen the on-going crisis in the NE.
The North East Conflict Management and Stabilisation Initiative is an expansion from a pilot phase implemented by a consortium from August 2016 to March 2017. The project will result in increased peace within and between communities and increased confidence in government and security institutions to address the root causes of conflict and violent extremism in Borno State.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Youth Engagement Officer will provide technical, operational, and strategic vision to the implementation of the youth engagement portion of the project by working with project staff, national partners to ensure that the program meets performance-based targets on-time and within budget, as per DFID requirements.
- S/he will coordinate financial inclusion and economic empowerment programming to address the root causes of youth participation in violence in Borno.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the implementation and management of innovative youth engagement and financial inclusion initiatives aligned to the NE CMS logical framework and project impact goal.
- Provide sector oversight and guidance in the implementation of economic and financial inclusion services including trainings, cooperative societies, village saving loan schemes, cash grants and other services aligned with the project log frame and budget.
- Build the technical capacity of project staff in youth advocacy, engagement and financial inclusion relevant to the implementation of the project through training and continuous mentoring. Submit a clear capacity building plan for this process.
- Conduct periodic field visits to ensure the quality and integrity of project implementation, including adherence to technical guidelines, administrative systems, and established deadlines.
- Provide technical and sector inputs to/ during planning, organising and coordination of project monitoring processes, assessments, surveys, researches and evaluations.
- Support the project management in ensuring that the overall goal and specific objectives to the youth engagement component of the project are achieved.
- Develop a detailed activity plan for the Youth Engagement component and submit to the project manager for review and re-alignment with the main work plan within the first month of employment.
- Compile and submit in time for review; evidence based weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual technical reports and activity plans
- Develop and submit weekly and monthly activity plans in time for review and prior to implementation.
- Ensure integration and coordination with other sectors within the project sectors for the attainment of holistic project impact.
Administration and Documentation:
- Work collaboratively with support departments (finance, operations, human resources) to ensure compliance with internal and donor policies and communicate support needs to ensure timely delivery by project support departments.
- Compile field reports ensuring evidence based outputs on Youth Engagement are reflected and submitted in time for inclusion into the main project reports. Provide weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports according to the DFID format.
- Compile and submit a monthly summary of evidence based highlights/ success stories on youth engagement. This will be incorporated in the project bulletin for the month.
- Produce monthly budgets and cash forecasts for youth engagement and financial inclusion activities.
- Sustain a work environment of mutual respect you and other team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Provide other team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Draft and /or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Proactively form relationships implementing partners to complement DFID funding.
- Represent NE CMS on youth engagement issues at technical and strategic planning meetings, or as requested by the Project Manager.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that you together with the team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of security SOPs and policies
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Marketing, Business Studies, Business Management and Administration, Business Management, Social Sciences, International Development or other relevant field. (minimum Bachelor’s degree)
- Minimum of four years working experience in a similar context
- Experience working in North East Nigeria strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Demonstrated experience working with State-level ministries and Local Government Area government officials.
- Willingness to learn and interest in conflict, governance, peace, economic and community development related fields
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted documents
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment
- Experience in an NGO (local or international) or research institution
- Commitment to achieve results in a timely manner.
- Trustworthiness and integrity.
- Committed to humanitarian and development values and principles.
- Strong people-management skills.
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Cultural sensitivity.
- Gender equity and protection sensitive.
- Creative solutions to problems.
- S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative and complex programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. Multi-tasking, prioritizing, problem solving and simultaneous attention to detail and strategic vision are essential.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Application Closing Date
13th April, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4-page CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.