Logistic Manager Job at the Alliance for International Medical Action
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent medical aid organization based in Dakar, Senegal. ALIMA has three principal areas of expertise: providing medical care in humanitarian crises, supporting the development of national medical organizations, and conducting operational research to bring medical innovation to the field.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistic Manager – 1st Mission
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Mission and Main Activities
- The Logistics Manager main objective is to plan, coordinate and monitor all logistics related activities in the project area including all nonmedical assistance related activities (shelter, food, water hygiene sanitation and essential nonfood items) and provide support to medical assistance activities, according to ALIMA protocols and standards in order to ensure an optimal running of the project.
Under the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator, as Logistics Manager (1st mission), you will:
- Assist in the definition and followup of logistics activities in the capital, in conjunction with other medical project managers in order to identify and give a response to the needs of the targeted population in terms of construction, transport, communication, food, shelter, water and sanitation, and essential nonfood items;
- Monitor on a daytoday basis the implementation of logistics/technical activities in the capital (construction, transport, communications, water and sanitation, vehicles and engines, equipment/installation and infrastructures, communications, etc.) ensuring compliance of ALIMA standards, protocols and procedures, and reporting to the Logistics Coordinator on the development of the ongoing programmes:
- Ensure good functioning of vehicle fleet and other engines.
- Implement water and sanitation activities planned.
- Organise transport of goods and staff.
- Guarantee means of communication.
- Implement all administrative related activities linked to logistics (orders, insurances, vehicle contracts, etc.).
- Participate in the planning together with the Logistics Coordinator, and the HR Coordinator, and implement HR associated processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, and detection of potential, development and communication) of the logistics staff in the Capital in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required to correctly perform all logistics activities ;
- Ensure installation and maintenance of functional office space(s) and lodging facilities for international staff in adequate living conditions;
- Participate in monthly reports according to guidelines.
Experience and Skills
- Quick to learn
- Good at listening
- Creative and open minded
- Interested in medical humanitarian operations and research
- You are capable of making decisions when it is necessary, whether it is easy or not
- You know how to help people around you see the big picture and take it into account when they make decisions
- You love diversity in your work and are very flexible and agile
- You do not avoid conflict, and even more, you know how to deal with conflict whether you like it or not
- You think a job well done means planning, anticipation, organisation and communication.
- A Secondary education/or technical diploma or technical university degree in the field of Logistics, or equivalent.
- Two years of work experience in logistics related activities.
- A previous experience with a NGO, and working experience in developing countries would be considered as an asset
- Computer skills
- Excellent language skills (English mandatory; French is an asset)
- Contract: contract under French law, 6 months’ renewable
- Starting date: ASAP
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee
Application Closing Date
13th May, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and answers to the following questions below (which stands for a classical cover letter) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the reference “Logistics Manager – 1st Mission – Nigeria ” in the subject line
Give answers to the following questions:
- What do you know about ALIMA and why do you want to be part of it?
- How do you place ALIMA in the NGO medical emergency landscape?
- What do you think are the challenges of Logistics Manager in a medical emergency context?
- How could you describe the attitude required to perform well in this role?
- In touch with the job description, what do you feel in capacity to bring personally to the project?
- Please indicate your level both in English and French, written read spoken (scale between 1 and 10, 10 being native speaker).
- Applications are processed in the order of arrival and we reserve the right to close the offer before the term initially indicated if a good application is successful.
- Only full applications (CV + answer to questions) will be taken into account.