Assistant Liaison Officer Job at the United Nations High Commissioner For Refugees
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Assistant Liaison Officer
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/036
Position number: 10027384
Contract Type:Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: One Year (with possible renewal)
Supervisor: Senior Liaison Officer
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Liaison Officer, the responsibilities of the Assistant Liaison Officer is to give, obtain and exchange information requiring discussions and explanations both to UNHCR staff members, Government authorities, ECOWAS institutions and other external parties on critical and sensitive matters. The incumbent will perform (but not limited to) the following duties:
- Assists in the establishment of close working relations with officials in Ministry of Interior and Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Conveys, explains and clarifies UNHCR’s positions on Protection and Durable Solutions to Government authorities, ECOWAS institutions and other external parties as necessary;
- Informs the Senior Liaison Officer on a continuing basis of relevant information on the outcome of discussions with MOI, MFA ECOWAS institutions and other external parties concerning Protection, including deportation, refoulement, detention, training of officials, Durable Solutions, etc.;
- Accompanies the Representative/Deputy Representative, Headquarters and other external parties visitors to camps, border and field missions;
- Drafts correspondence and reports as required;
- Undertakes other duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- University Degree (BA) in Political Science, Economics. Law, Business Administration or related field
- Minimum 2 years of work experience relevant to the function
- Good knowledge of English Language, both written and spoken and knowledge of second UN and local languages.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Working experience with the Government, UN, ECOWAS, INGO.
- UNHCR Specific learning/training activities (i.e. Learning Programme in Management & Operations).
- Proficiency of the language(s) that are used within the AOR.
Application Closing Date
27th May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications following the procedures outlined below:
Staff members who wish to be considered for this position should complete and attach a UN Personal History Form(P11) to their written application and send it via email ONLY to: email@example.com quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
External candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates with the application at this stage.
- A written test may be conducted for these positions which will be followed by a competency based interview.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please ensure that you use the attached P11 form for your application
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.