Mercy Corps Recruitment in Nigeria for Project Interns
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: UAS-LCB Project Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00021
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Dates of Internship: 1st July 2018
Length of Internship: 6 Months
Mercy Corps Responsibilities
- For the duration of this internship assignment, the intern will receive 60,000NGN per month.
- Comprehensive Health Insurance
- The “Using Airwaves for Stability in the Lake Chad Basin” (UAS – LCB) Project is aimed to support a Kanuri-language radio station operating in the Lake Chad Basin region.
- The support would include coordination with the radio station to produce and air news, current affairs and special content programming to increase understanding of, and support for, the de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration of current and former members of violent extremist groups.
- This project will result in reduced support for violence, greater openness to reintegrating returning ex-combatants into communities and greater community agency to drive their futures with accurate, credible information.
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent research skills
- Stakeholders engagement and coordination
- Event planning and management
- The UAS-LCB Project Intern is responsible for listening and writing reports of the daily programs aired on the radio.
- Assist in program filing system is in place, adheres to internal and donor regulation and filing is regularly maintained;
- Adhere to all MC policies related to security, operations and transport/ logistics information related to programming.
- Assist in establishing strong working relationships with the radio station to jointly develop and implement strategies to achieve maximum impact of the project;
- Assist in liaising with government officials to organize and facilitate policy dialogues to discuss the finding of the research and incorporating into strategic communication plans;
- Assist in mobilizing government officials for strategic communication workshops, identify consultants to deliver the trainings, and work with them to ensure that the curriculum is in line with the project and participants’ needs;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission;
- Other duties as assigned.
Ideal Candidate should Possess the following Qualifications
- Degree in Development Studies, Social Sciences, Statistics or relevant field, with foundation in monitoring and evaluation.
- Good interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good computer skills, including experience with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience working in North East Nigeria preferred.
- Fluency in written and verbal English required.
- Fluent oral communication skills in Hausa and Kanuri required.
- Minimum 1 years of experience working on development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; specifically in governance, strategic communications and/or peacebuilding/countering violent extremism (CVE).
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience designing and implementing research initiatives is desirable.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: email@example.com
Application Deadline 6th June, 2018.
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.