Recent Job Vacancies at WaterAid
WaterAid is an international organisation whose mission is to transform the lives of the poorest and most marginalised people by improving access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene. Through their partners, they have reached 2 million people with safe water and 3 million people with sanitation last year.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Accountant – EU WSSRP III
Department: Finance & IT
Pay band: WaterAid Nigeria Salary Grade D
Contract type: Full time, 2 years Fixed Term (renewable)
Reports to: Head of Finance and Information Technology
Travel: At least 60% time travel to support partners.
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.
WaterAid Nigeria (WANG) is in the process of signing a two year grant with the National Panning Commission to deliver an EU funded Grant for CSO Water Supply and Sanitation Sector Reform Programme(WSSRP) 111 to be implemented in Riyom and Shendam LGAs of Plateau State.
To ensure compliance with EU financing and procurement process, WANG requires the services of an Accountant with strong EDF experience to support the Finance Team in administering this grant. The position will be based in Abuja
- This role provides all round financial and grants management support to WaterAid Nigeria partners, working on the EU WSSRP III project, to ensure effective and efficient management of funding.
- The post holder is responsible for supporting partner organizations and their staff to develop effective partner financial processes that are in line with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP); partner organizations compliance with WaterAid and any donor specific financial policies & procedures requirement; the appropriate use of and application of grant funds and accurate and timely submission of financial reports in line with approved donor budgets.
- The WSSRP III Project Accountant will also build capacity of WaterAid partners and WaterAid staff in State offices on various aspects of EU financial and grants management.
- Provide guidance on EU procurement, visibility, expense eligibility and other donor regulations as it affects the project.
- Undertake Partners financial capacity assessment and thereafter develop support plan to address gaps identified. To also respond to on – demand support request from partners with buy-in of the Head of Finance and IT and Director of Programmes.
- Review all partner financial reports, returns and supporting documentation to ensure it is in line with WaterAid & donor guidelines.
- Ensure financial compliance (with WaterAid, donors and regulatory) by partners through audit check of finance reports from partners and provide written feedback to partners on their monthly financial reports.
- Undertake financial monitoring and support to partners. Notify the Head of Finance & IT and Director of Programme on issues arising from the financial reporting/ monitoring of partners and propose remedial action to resolve the issues.
- Contribute to the development of guidelines, tools and templates to support partners to improve the quality of their financial reporting.
- Communicate with partners on all financial issues related to EU grants on new changes or updates.
Financial Accounting & Reporting:
- Ensure that partners maintain adequate and appropriate financial accounting records.
- Responsible for posting of expenses to correct accounting codes into the Global Accounting System (GAS).
- Prepare monthly project financial reports, consistent with donor procedural and reporting requirements.
- Review monthly support cost and staff cost recovery for the EU WSSRP III grant and ensure these are charged correctly to the project.
- Monitor Partner cash flow and deal with fund transfer request by partners in a timely manner whilst ensuring proper liquidation of previous advances.
- Prepare ‘ad hoc’ internal management and financial information and reports as and when required by budget holders.
- Provide timely and accurate input into Month end and Year end processes.
- Prepare and maintain project register for EU funded Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE).
- Check /Verify requests for payments, and purchase orders, prior to payment run, to ascertain whether sufficient project funding is available and that requests are charged to correct budget lines.
- Attend to queries regarding project reports/budgets in a timely manner to avoid delays to project plans attributable to late processing of partner transfers.
- Provide project data for input into Level 3 annual plan and budget. Support programme managers in preparing annual budget and participate in budget consolidation.
- Monitor project burn rate, support budget holders in activity costing, and flagging up abnormal spending trends to the Head of Finance and IT.
- Develop budget monitoring tools, train budget holders and support in monthly budget versus actual variance explanation.
- Support programme managers in budget forecasting and timely submission to Head of Finance and IT.
- Assist in developing project procurement plan
- Prepare detailed donor financial report using standard EU grant reporting template.
- Support in preparing justification memo for EU approval of budget adjustment ahead of planned movement of funds within and across budget headings. When required, prepare requests for and obtain clearances / prior approvals / deviations from donor.
- Make input to new Project Partnership Agreements (PPAs) with Partners to ensure document is compliant with donor requirements and WaterAid partner financial guideline.
- Active participation in the full grant management cycle activities beginning from solicitation through to grant closeout.
- Ensure timely training of partners and WaterAid staff to understand and comply fully with EU project “Special & General Conditions”. Develop training materials and carry out periodic training / coaching of partners on compliance and reporting.
- Follow up on outstanding claims / payment order with the EU grant National Authorizing Officer (NAO).
- Maintain up to date EU WSSRP III Grant File (soft and hard copy) for all correspondence with and reports to the donor. Ensure that Program Managers are maintaining donor report hard and soft copies on file.
- Develop and maintain project Grant Tracker.
- Responsible for end of project/grants close-out procedures/processes on partner’s finances to secure project financial assets and ensuring all liabilities are settled.
- Responsible for filling all Partner financial returns in a systematic and secure manner for proper audit trail and easy retrieval.
- Provide support throughout external & other audits, including preparing relevant supporting evidence and records for annual project expenditure audit.
- Support Partners to maintain and update project Risk Register.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Head of Finance & IT or his designated representative.
- B.Sc or HND in Accounting
- Minimum of three years’ post NYSC work experience in Accounting / Finance related role
- Previous experience in managing and supporting partner organisations working on European Union funded project
- Strong knowledge and experience applying European Union finance, procurement, contracting and grant management regulations.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Excel & Word (MS Office in general)
- Accounting experience in an international development organisation (preferably in an organization receiving funding from European Union)
- Strong working knowledge of one or more accountancy software applications
- Able to effectively plan, prioritize, and organise self in order to accomplish work.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate information and ideas clearly to others.
- Good analytical thinking skills, able to analyse information and use logic to address work-related issues and problems.
- High attention to detail and accuracy in information processing, including compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying data.
- A proactive approach, willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges, and actively work towards improvements and resolutions
- Team player and good interpersonal skills, able to support, challenge and influence effectively in order to maintain good relationships and ensure quality in delivery
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
- ICAN or ACCA Membership, or at an advanced stage in obtaining these
- Recently completed EU grants compliance training for sub grantees
- Knowledge of SUN accounting System
Pay band: G
Contract type: Full time, 2 years fixed term (renewable)
Reports to: Country Director
Budget responsibility: TBD
WaterAid is an international not-for-profit organisation dedicated to helping the poor and marginalised people break free from poverty and disease, and change their lives for good through improved access to clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene. Since 1995, WaterAid has dedicatedly worked with the governments and people of Nigeria to support the implementation of sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) interventions and programmes.As part of the activities to mark World Water Day 2018, the need for the Federal Government of Nigeria to declare a state of emergency in the WASH sector was strongly canvassed by WaterAid. This crystalized into the formal declaration of a state of emergency in the WASH sector by the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) in April 2018. While this represents a huge milestone in the quest to achieve WASH for everyone everywhere in Nigeria, it calls for support towards actualizing the state of emergency and ensuring it does not end as a mere political statement that does not translate to tangible action.
- To do this, WaterAid is looking for a long term WASH expert to lead thinking within WaterAid and work with sector actors around the practical ways to achieve the goals of the national WASH plan/ state of emergency declaration on the WASH sector.
Coordination of WaterAid Technical Support to Federal & State Governments Support the Policy and Advocacy team to:
- Lead the support to the Federal Ministry of Water Resources and its agencies to design specific activities with clear milestones, targets and indicators to translate the policy pronouncement to action.
- Identify windows of influence and engage with / foster collaborative working, alliances and strategic partnerships between WaterAid and other WASH sector /development actors as required to achieve the goals of the National WASH Emergency declaration
- Work strategically and maintain relationship with senior WASH actors in WANG focal states to advocate for the replication of the state of emergency declaration as a potential approach to achieve rapid increase in WASH coverage in the respective states.
- In collaboration with the Coordinator, Strategic Partnerships, explore opportunities to engage and mobilize private sector resources for WaterAid Nigeria’s activities
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to give maximum visibility to the WASH state of emergency declaration, design campaign materials and advocacy messages to be used by local NGO’s, CSO’s, and citizen’s groups
- In collaboration with Sector Capacity & Support Manager, conduct WASH bottleneck analysis and identify specific areas of sector strengthening support required to remove sector blockages and improve WASH delivery at federal and state levels; use the evidence from this analysis to shape influencing and advocacy activities targeting diverse stakeholder groups.
- Facilitate development of the framework and implement framework to establish public-private partnership models for the achievement of National WASH action plan
- Identify opportunities for linking National WASH action plan priorities with key priorities in the education, health and other related sectors; innovate linkages and influencing moments between senior actors across related sectors to maximize resource sharing and utilization towards achieving WASH outcomes.
Research, Knowledge management & Learning:
- Initiate research, develop publications and learning products for sharing with wider WASH sector audiences and contributing to increasing knowledge on sector building blocks
- Initiate/participate in national and state events for promoting Federal Government of Nigeria WASH state of emergency declaration and increasing knowledge of sector strengthening initiatives targeting strategic level partners and stakeholders.
Monitoring and Quality Assurance:
- Lead on support to the FMWR and donor coordination arrangements to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation indicators to track progress against national WASH action plan/ state of emergency
- Contribute to make PMER and project centres a reality in WANG and a day-to-day activity
- Strong academic background (preferably at Master’s degree level) in Engineering, public health or related fields
- Minimum ten (10) years’ experience of development programme management and at least 3 of which must be in a senior level position focusing on delivering in WASH services.
- Prior experience working with high level government officials to influence and direct policy reform agenda
- Demonstrate sound understanding of WASH, Integrated Water Resource management issues and broader development and poverty reduction themes
- Sound knowledge of basic project management approaches, experience with conducting formative research and using research outcomes to make programme decisions.
- Experience with building capacity of implementing partner organizations especially CSO’s and government
- Experience in developing strategic & operational plans. Able to effectively organise self and others, plan and prioritise in line with such plans.
- Excellent relationship building skills. Able to build and maintain trusting relationships, negotiate, influence and resolve conflicts. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with multi-level stakeholders including donor representatives, government officials and community level actors.
- Strong communication skills, including active listening and ability to effectively convey information and ideas verbally and in writing
- Experience of leading, managing and motivating others and driving change
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
- Existing links and network within the WASH sector
- Membership of relevant professional body
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title as the subject of the email.
Note: To apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.