Graduate Procurement Assistant Job at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Assistant
Reference No: ABV/OPS/2018/00003
Location: Abuja, FCT
Position Status: Full-time
Program / Department Summary
- The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the purchase of goods and services.
- The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement activity is the prompt and effective provision of materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor specifications.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Assistant is responsible for facilitating the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation. Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Procurement Assistant is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- The Procurement Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities in the Abuja Office.
- Has a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Assists, as needed in training staff on these policies.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other documentation.
- Carryout the procurement of goods, works and services for all the PRs with the value between USD $250 and USD $19,999 (Micro and Small Purchases) – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Organize and carryout operation related procurement falling under the Direct Purchase (below USD $ 250) as requested by the line manager and in accordance with Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Interact with Vendors during collection of quotations – explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described below:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- If, for any reason, one vendor/supplier is permitted to re-quote (submit a revised quotation), all competitors should be given the same opportunity. Re-quoting should be kept to an absolute minimum.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Senior Procurement Officer.
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Assists P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Policies and Procedures (FP3), the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
- Reports Directly To: Senior Procurement Officer
- Works Directly With: Operations Team, Finance Team, Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff regarding procurement planning and activities
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant business field.
- Minimum 1 year’ experience in supply chain management, international business or related field. Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- Certification in procurement/supply chain management.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- The Senior Procurement Officer is conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement.
- S/he has the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- They have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
Application Closing Date
14th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.