Digital, Press and Public Affairs Officer Job at The British High Commission
Job Title: Digital, Press and Public Affairs Officer
Ref No: 08/18 ABJ
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Policy & Political roles)
Job Subcategory: Communications, Press and Media
Start Date: 1st September, 2018
Main purpose of Job
- The British High Commission wishes to recruit an experienced and dynamic professional to drive our digital communications work in our busy press team.
- The Digital Press Officer plays a pivotal role in ensuring that the UK government in Nigeria is able to communicate effectively and innovatively across a range of digital media channels, capitalising on links between digital, traditional and public diplomacy events.
- Duties will include, but will not be limited to, designing text and audio-visual material for use on the BHC media channels, and working with a broad range of media stakeholders to deliver HMG messages.
- The successful candidate will also provide tailored communications planning support to HMG departments working on the BHC platform and be required to deliver excellent public diplomacy events.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Initiate and maintain effective relationships with key constituencies (i.e. donors, civil society, academia, business, government agencies, etc.) to identify opportunities for possible strategic partnerships and to strengthen the UK Government overall effectiveness and image;
- Manage the British High Commission Abuja webpage and digital media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter ensuring content is up to date content and of high quality
- Monitor and analyze current events and opinion in the media and with CSOs to identify and flag topics of interest or reputational risk related to the UK Government in Nigeria;
- Work with Abuja-based HMG departments, including British Council, DFID, UKVI to establish and implement appropriate campaign plans and to ensure that HMG communication is coordinated
- Keep a well organised electronic library of photos and audio/visual files for use in publications, productions or for release to the media
- Photograph and record BHC and other HMG departments’ activities as required
- onitor digital, print and broadcast media for issues of interest to the UK mission in Nigeria
- Prepare draft news releases for the press
- Provide briefing and media handling support to the High Commissioner and other senior officials as required.
- Design, implement, monitor and assess impact-driven cross HMG digital communications strategy that include effective positioning, stakeholder engagement and advocacy to create and leverage communications opportunities;
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Qualified to postgraduate degree level
- Familiarity with messaging for digital diplomacy
- Attention to detail and comfortable producing accurate statements under pressure
- Strong networking and relationship management skills
- Previous experience in public relations, marketing or media, including developing and implementing media communication plans/media campaigns and managing events.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Highly organised, able to take initiative and to work accurately within deadlines and with limited supervision in a fast paced environment
- Thorough knowledge of social media, including the ability design strategy and analyse usage in order to shape BHC engagement and to focus campaigns
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in an international organisation
- Project or event management/experience
- Seeing the Big Picture, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Starting Monthly Salary
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th July, 2018.