Procurement Officer needed at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00027
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, Damboa, Gwoza and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- The Procurement Officer will provide direct Operational support to the field offices from time to time basing on the requirements and functions.
Essential Job Functions
- Have a full understanding of MC procurement policies and systems; and be able to provide training to staff on these policies, procedures, systems and best practices
- Assist in regular procurement planning meetings and program activity reviews.
- Oversee tendering processes for procurements requiring Open tender processes
- Maintain appropriate databases to track and manage running contracts under works, Consultancy and services within required threshold
- Handle all consultancy contracts, and processes and ensure that correct process is followed by requestor
- Ensure that correct documentation for procurement and contracts are completed and filed to MC standards.
- Regularly contract status reports using the PR Master lists and Contracts Database
- Chair tendering processes as required, ensuring processes are transparent, provide value for money and are properly documented
- Work with compliance team to ensure contract terms are observed by contractors, constantly making follow ups and providing necessary amendments for contracts
- Ensure timely, and accurate payment processing and documentation of consultancy and works contract payments procurements
- Vendors and contractors Prequalification for MC Nigeria for construction, and Consultancies ensuring that they meet the required MC Conditions and Legal standards
- Maintain a database of prequalified and contractors used by MC Nigeria
- Ensure proper filing of all logistics documents in all offices
- Train and support project staff in procurement matters
- Negotiates for best purchasing package (in terms of quality, price, term, delivery and service) with suppliers and sub-contractors assigned.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Any Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility – NA
- Reports Directly To: Senior Operations Officer- MDG
- Works Directly With: All operations, Finance, MEL and program teams.
Knowledge and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Logistics, Procurement Management, or any relevant Business field.
- Two years’ experience in Procurement, Logistics and Administration management required.
- Two years’ experience working in international relief and development in logistics and administration, staff supervision and development, training, team building, finance & administration, donor relations, and inter/intra – agency communications. This includes experience living and working overseas and working in remote conditions.
- Excellent computer and communication skills
- Experience managing the development, implementation, administration, and compliance of US Government, ECHO/EC, UN, private foundation, and corporate grants, and related projects.
- Experience in managing the logistics components of a food distribution program
- Ability to communicate in English, Kanuri and Hausa
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building
- S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues
Application Closing Date
27th July, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send not more than 4-page CV’s and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.