Emergency Water Officer needed at Solidarites International
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Water Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Beginning of Contract: 15/8/2018
Contract Duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension) – Probation period: 1 month
- The Emergency Water Officer is in charge of providing technical expertise and support within emergency team operational framework.
- He/she participates in the collection of data, contextual and technical information that could influence the activities.
- He/She supervises and validate the works implemented by the emergency team, especially regarding water related activities.
- He/She provides technical expertises in drafting the activities related to water and sanitation before the implementation of the project.
- He/she participates in monitoring the implemented activities and assessing new needs
- The emergeny water officer could be asked to take part to training or distribution activities
List of main Responsibilities
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the Emergency program assistant, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates
- Respect deadlines established with his/her program assistant and project manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and/or communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or team leader on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to the team leader regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyze the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request Personal abilities :
- Professional experience: 1 year of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector) or solid operational backgroud
- Languages: (English an asset), Haussa, Kanuri (Shuwa and/or Fulani a strong plus)
- Flexible, adaptable, autonomous, Honest, very good organization, multi-tasking, team player
- Knowledge of at least one HP ( PHAST/CHAST/CLTS/KAP etc) methodology.
- Ability to manage small groupd of daily workers and to interact with various stakeholders (contractors, local authorities, etc..)
- Proficiency in one technical domain = civil engineering, geology, hydrology, etc..
- Autocad, EPANET, Microsoft Office (intermediate Excel and Word skills)
Salary And Conditions
In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
25th July, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications (CV, Cover Letter, References) in one file and name it with your name and surname. The mail must be sent to: email@example.com
- Add in the subject of the mail Emergency Water Officer
- No generic applications will be accepted
- No paper cv will be accepted
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.