Finance Associate (Assistant) Vacancy at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Associate (Assistant)
Reports to: Finance Officer
- To support CA financial management functions at Maiduguri field office by ensuring that adequate financial records are kept and payment requests are processed on a timely basis.
- The finance associates will support the team in coordinating payments to volunteers in Maiduguri and environs and for other month end financial reporting procedures.
- This role is also responsible for ensuring timely remittances for PAYE, WHT and other statutory deductions and ensuring that the relevant receipts are obtained and filed.
- The role is required to be familiar with CA and donor financial compliance requirements and to ensure that these are operationalised in the office.
- The finance team leads on all financial reporting in the country program and is responsible for managing the financial grants secured from donors. This role sits in the Maiduguri Field Office and links up closely with the Country Office in Abuja.
- Reviews stock reports from the warehouse is reviewed and submits to Finance officer on a monthly basis for posting to SUN.
- Coordinates payments to volunteers, casual workers, NCORPS on a monthly basis.
- Ensures timely remittance of all statutory payments and ensure proper records arer maintained and filed in the office.
- Ensures Christian Aid and donor financial policies and procedures are complied with.
- Timely submission of reports to line manager to enable final reports to be prepared on a timely basis.
- Cash, bank books and other financial documentation is maintained and reconciled on a monthly basis
- External: Maintains and builds relationships with donors, third parties, suppliers and other relevant external agencies
- Internal: The position is line managed by the Finance Officer who is in turn managed by the Finance Coordinator. However, for day to day operational issues, the Associate will report to the most senior CA staff in the field office. The role links up strongly with the Maiduguri Finance Team,particularly the Finance Coordinator as well as the Program leads.
- Decision making: Make decisions to assist in the smooth running of financial processing. Providing advice on financial policies and procedures to local Christian Aid staff. Support the maintenance of all financial records.
- Analytical skills: Ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to routine work in a specific area. Occasionally providing analysis or advice on financial matters.
- Developing self and others: Will familiarise self with CA policies to ensure that field office and staff based there are complying.
Applied Skills/Knowledge and Expertise
- First Degree in Accounting
- 2-3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience working with institutional donors.
- Experience working with an Accounting software, preferably SUN
- At the early stages of an IFAC accountancy qualification.
IT competency required:
LEVEL 1: You are expected to be able to:
- Build partnerships: Work in a reliable, helpful and cooperative way with all colleagues and provide help to others without needing to be asked. Willingly participate in team work and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role. Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area. Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity and respect, accepting that people are different and have different views. Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate effectively: Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing. Pass on a clear message or information promptly and accurately. Ask additional questions to clarify when needed. Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood. Be aware of how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary.
- Steward resources: Use resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources. Recognise that time is a resource and take responsibility for managing your time effectively.
- Deliver results: Agree your work plan, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed. Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations. Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed and to ensure appropriate sign-off. Respond promptly to the requests of others, seeking guidance on priorities and workload when needed. Consider the consequences of your actions, including the impact on your work and colleagues. Take personal responsibility for your actions.
- Realise potential: Question and ask for information and advice to address your own knowledge and skills gaps in order to learn. Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance. Assist others by showing how to complete tasks. Demonstrate concern for the wellbeing of others. Act and behave consistently in line with Christian Aid’s values.
- Strive for improvement: Demonstrate openness to change. Respond quickly and helpfully to new initiatives. Find ways to make improvements in your work. Show initiative when faced with problems. Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others.
Salary (Full Time)
Application Closing Date
25th August, 2018.
7th September, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online