Graduate Accountability Support Officer needed at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Accountability Support Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: MEAL Coordintor
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 3 months
- To assist the Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL) unit and programs in implementing Accountability activities which would range from reviewing current strategies and designing more effective strategies in the implementation of Accountability component across Christian Aid projects. The role holder will support direct implementation of this component and ensure there is a high compliance to already stated protocols within the Christian Aid MEAL team.
- The role holder has to be versed in the Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP) guideline, Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS) principle and other relevant accountability guidelines.
- The role holder will periodically provide reports and information products for various stakeholders, all with the aim of seeking more support or showing the quality/achievement of Christian Aid Accountability work in the various projects.
- The role works within the International Programmes role family positioned within the humanitarian team.
- The role is key in providing Accountability support through complaints logging, management, tracking, analysis and reporting to the MEAL unit and various project leads.
- The role will normally work within the country office and there may be occasional travel required.
- Design accountability Logframe for the project
- Ensure through a systematic way that during distributions, helpdesk/information table are established to the community members to answer beneficiary comments/questions.
- Ensure proper entry of the complaints into the Christian Aid Complaints database
- Prepare Bi-weekly reports showing the various categories of complaints and the status of the complaints
- Ensure key information reaches beneficiaries using a number of methods (leaflets, orientation, help desk, etc.) Ensuring that all beneficiaries properly receive their benefits.
- Work with the rest of the Response Team to ensure Christian Aid accountability standards are included in staff orientation sessions, with a particular focus on Christian Aid Programme and Operational staff, and all staff members from partner organisations.
- Plan and conduct training sessions of relevant staff members (both Christian Aid and partner organisations) to support and ensure quality implementation of accountability mechanisms and information provision plans
Relationships: (Key relationships, frequency of contact, purpose of contact (liaison/influencing/negotiating etc.)
- External: The role holder will have contact with partners., volunteers and stakeholders at state level.
- Internal: The position is line managed by the MEAL Coordinator- Humanitarian. Has a key role in ensuring good relations with other roles in programmes, finance and logistic and procuement
- The ability to make day to day strategic and operational decisions to assist in the administration and smooth running of the Partnership and programmes.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, MYSQL and qualitative analysis software
- Developing self and others
- Ability to take initiative, be self- motivated and build capacity of/guide new and existing staff on programme and Accountability requirement.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Degree in Statistics or the Social Sciences with at least one year working experience with an I/NGO
- Experience of monitoring, evaluation and Project/programme-cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory planning.
- Understanding and familiarity with data management tools
- Knowledge and use of mobile data collection technology
- Familiarity with Microsoft Packages.
- Hands-on experience of monitoring and supporting community based development programmes.
- Excellent report writing, communication (written and verbal) skills, and strong IT skills.
- Understanding of partnership approach to international development
- Manage and organize information systems and establish and maintain filing systems
- Ability to produce quality reports, case studies and humanitarian briefs from analysis conducted on data sets and gathered qualitative information.
- IT competency required Intermediate.
LEVEL 1: You are expected to be able to:
- Work in a collaborative way that develops positive relationships and proactively provide help to others
- Proactively participate in team work and contribute ideas, including those that may be beyond your own or your team’s role.
- Keep others informed about what is going on in your own work area.
- Treat everyone with courteousness, dignity and respect, recognising that people are different and have different views.
- Act and behave consistently with what you say.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Pass on messages or information promptly and accurately, ensuring clarity and understanding.
- Proactively question to clarify when needed.
- Explain things simply and in a different way if someone appears not to have understood.
- Be sensitive to and take responsibility for how your actions and words impact on others and adapt if necessary.
- Be responsible for using resources economically, whether these are Christian Aid resources or wider environmental resources.
- Recognise that time is a resource and take responsibility and proactive measures for managing your time effectively.
- Agree your work plan and priorities, keep track of your own progress and keep others informed.
- Check the quality of your own work and deliver to expectations.
- Seek clarification and support from your manager when needed, ensuring appropriate sign-off.
- Respond promptly to the requests of others, handling competing priorities and seeking guidance on these where appropriate.
- Consider the consequences of your actions, and take responsibility for the impact on your work, your colleagues and team objectives.
- Be accountable for your actions.
- Acknowledge gaps in your own knowledge and skills and seek out information and advice in order to learn.
- Regularly ask for and act on feedback on own performance.
- Assist others by showing how to complete tasks and sharing knowledge.
Strive for improvement:
- Demonstrate openness and willingness to embrace change, be flexible and adapt to new methods of working.
- Respond quickly and positively to new initiatives.
- Find ways to make improvements in your work and ways of working.
- Show initiative when faced with problems and proactively seek solutions.
- Willingly share knowledge and information that may help others.
Salary (full time): N4,103,445
Application Closing Date
21st September, 2018.