Plumber/ Technician Vacancy at Solidarites International
Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Plumber/ Technician
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Beginning of contract: 29/10/2018
Contract duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension) – Probation period: 2 month
- Under the supervision of the program team leader, the program officer or the base logistician, the technician will implement the work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements
Set-up and Operational Monitoring:
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Recruit and train the workforce and daily workers
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and quotes
- Respect deadlines established with his/her foreman
- Anticipate any problems associated with the carrying out of his/her activity and resolve any problems
- Establish safety measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision
- Perform or oversee all work (construction, repairs, etc.) ordered by the manager, as wells as those he/she has identified and has had validated by the manager
- Ensure regular maintenance of Solidarités installations/equipment/facilities, notably through a preventative maintenance plan (procedures, scheduling etc).
- In the case of malfunction/deterioration, diagnose and propose to the manager and/or technical advisor different types of steps to take, with a cost estimate for each one.
- Perform work within deadlines, while ensuring compliance with the defined specifications (plans, dimensions etc) and established budget
- Perform necessary tests/checks to ensure the smooth running of the installations/equipment after repairs.
- Make propositions for improvements and/or correction of installations/equipment/facilities.
- Ensure proper management, safeguard and maintenance of work tools, site installations under his/her supervision, as well as organisation of the workshop/stock
- Check that enough necessary consumables and materials are always in stock for routine repairs, and ensure their management; transmit orders timely.
- During execution of work, ensure the safety and security of the premises (or immediate surroundings).
- If needed, help with loading/unloading construction material
- Complete and follow the Order Book for various works (furniture construction, repairs etc).
- File all documents related to installations/equipment/facilities in an organised manner, and ensure they are kept up-to-date
- Write accurate intervention reports (follow up sheet, problem, steps taken etc).
- Responsible for follow up and history of failures/repairs.
- Participate in developing procedures and maintenance plans.
- Supervise and eventually train day labourers employed for assistance
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to his/her foreman regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues to the foreman
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Professional experience: 2 year of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector) and/or strong operational background
- Languages: English, Haussa, Kanuri (Shuwa and/or Fulani a strong plus)
- Personal qualities:
- Detail oriented, follows protocol, reliable, honest, very good organization, multi-tasking, team player.
Technical competences :
- Proficiency in plumbing works : fixing pipes, linking outlets, fixing leakages, etc…
- Ability to quickly understand the nature of a technical (plumbing problem for example) and propose a comprehensive intervention
- Proficiency in at least one technical domain = Civil engineering / geology / hydrology
- Ability to manage daily workers and to deal with a wide range of stakeholders (contractans, authorities etc..)
- Operational knowledge of electrical works (fixation of circuit breaker, small scale network etc…) would be a strong asset
Salary and conditions
In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria.
Application Closing Date
18th October, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should please choose ONE out of the two below Solutions to apply:
First Solution: (only available for people having a gmail account):
- Click on the following link: SI Recruitment Nigeria , select “WatSan Officer – Maiduguri”, fill the Form and attach your CV
Second Solution: (for people who do not have a gmail account):
Submit your application (CV, cover letter, references) in one file and name it with your name and surname. The mail must be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org Add in the subject of the mail “WASH Technician/ Plumber Maiduguri”
- No generic applications will be accepted
- No paper cv will be accepted
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.