Post-Editing and Proofreading Officer Job at the African Development Bank Group
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Post-Editing and Proofreading Officer (French Language) – CHLS0
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50098268
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to guarantee overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
The Hiring Department
- The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure and facilitate, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, written and verbal communication in the working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) on all issues submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank in furtherance of the its mission.
- In this regard, the Department accords high priority to ensuring an accurate and effective flow of communication within the Bank, and also between the Bank, its shareholders, development partners and the public at large, by providing the highest quality of translation, interpretation and terminological services to the Institution. It also seeks to promote multilingualism to enhance communication among staff with the Bank’s clients and partners.
- The main objective of the Post-editing and proofreading officer is to support the Department in implementing more rigorous quality control systems and optimizing the contribution of Neural Machine Translation to the overall production of the Department.
- Under the general supervision of the Director, the Post-editing and Proofreading Officer (French Language) helps the Department efficiently deliver its mandate by optimizing the use of Computer-aided translation tools and artificial intelligence.
- He/She relies on his/her technical knowledge to improve the volume and quality of pre-translation and translation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Post-editing and Proofreading Officer will undertake post-editing and proofreading assignments to improve the quality of pre-translation and translation, upstream and downstream. In particular, he/she shall:
- Undertake post-editing of pre-translations generated by Translation Memory or Neural Machine Translation Software;
- Ensure that the right terminology is used and that no untranslated parts are found in the final product;
- Verify facts using standard reference sources;
- Apply basic rules regarding spelling, punctuation and style;
- Ensure that no information has been accidentally added or omitted;
- Use reference materials to maintain consistency across the translated document;
- Undertake detailed checking of translations done by external translators and in their final processing stage;
- Adapt existing translations to conform to new versions of documents;
- Avoid subjective changes regarding style, smoothness, and feel of translated documents;
- Proofread translations done externally and post-edit pre-translations to identify and correct grammar, punctuation and spelling errors;
- Assume responsibility for errors/omissions associated with a translation process in which he/she was involved;
- Provide feedback to the supervisor on projects assigned to him/her;
- Maintain strong relationships with translators and revisers, and follow their guidance;
- Juggle overlapping projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Language Studies, Precis-writing, Terminology, Post-editing or a closely related discipline;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in post-editing, translation or translation-related activities, precis-writing and proofreading;
- Excellent writing skills & very good command of English and French languages;
- Broad general knowledge and excellent levels of attention to detail;
- Ability to post-edit and proofread quickly and efficiently with little supervision;
- Comprehensive knowledge of CAT tools (e.g. Multitrans, Trados, and Workflow systems).
- Capacity to adjust rapidly to a complex multicultural environment.
- Ability to fit into a multilingual team and maintain seamless working relationships.
- Ability to manage multiple projects under pressure and remain professional
- Ability to communicate efficiently (written and oral) in English and French.
Application Closing Date
25th November, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: This position does not attract international terms and conditions. Incumbents of the post will be considered as local staff and will therefore not have international status