Procurement Project Officer Position at Christian Aid
Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Procurement Project Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Senior Operations Coordinator
Expected travel per annum: Up to 30 days
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length:6 months
- The Procurement Officer reporting to the Senior Operations Coordinator will work closely with the Procurement Committee to ensure effective procurement processes in the Humanitarian Response.
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s response to the humanitarian crisis in Nigeria with special focus on procurements.
- She/he will support Christian Aid’s procurements across funded programmes which are implemented by Christian Aid and her partners in Borno and other states in the north east.
- The role holder will assist in the implementation and documentation of all procurement processes. She/he will work closely with programme leads to ensure that procurements on each project are done in a timely manner.
- She/ he will ensure transparent vendor engagements in line with Christian Aid’s procurement guidelines and ensure that value for money is achieved with every transaction.
- Based in Maiduguri, the role is part of the Business Systems Unit and the wider Nigeria country team.
- The post holder will support the Senior Operations Coordinator and the Procurement committee to ensure that funds spent on commercial goods and services across the various country programme activities achieve value for money and risks are well managed.
- The role is key in supporting and implementing the procurement guidelines and ensuring that procurement processes are well documented and in line with donor requirements. The role plays a key role in vendor and contractor engagements and ensures that all contractual processes are adhered to.
- Ensure that all procurement processes are properly documented, and that engagement of contractors and vendors are in line with Christian Aid’s procurement guidelines.
- Track status of procurement requests and provide updates through procurement request status reports.
- Maintain a Vendor List with updated information on different categories of goods and services and performance ranking based on recent post-delivery evaluations.
- Support tendering processes, opening of bids and selection of qualified contractors/ vendors. Ensure the contractual processes are in line with Christian Aid’s contractual guidelines.
- Work closely with the Senior Operations Coordinator and Project Leads to have up to date procurement reports across all projects.
- Update procurement tracker and share information as may be required.
- Analyse quotes and work closely with the Procurement Committee
- Build strong relationships with partners, vendors, contractors, donors and stakeholders as may be required.
- Build strong relationship with staff in the humanitarian response and country office especially the BSU and finance teams.
- Make decisions in order to support team effectively, from definition of product specification to product delivery in addition to day to day management of vendors.
- Also providing technical input on all procurement and logistics issues. Day to day decision to ensure partner portfolio projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid’s strategy and strategic focus areas.
- Make suggestions around project proposals, so they are prepared and comply with reporting requirements. Contribute to shaping and implementing logistics and procurement strategy, making sound decisions to support this.
- The post holder will have the ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to gathering and analysing information. Tasks involve analysis and choosing between options, where the solution is not always obvious and where considerable initiative and judgement is required. They will be working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner. Integrate and interpret broad and complex information. Analyse spend data, track and report savings and cost avoidance
- Work on complex specialist/ technical issues. Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
Developing self and others:
- The post holder will be expected to manage and prioritize their own work and be proactive. Working alongside the Senior Operations and Procurement Coordinator, they will give advice to programme staff in country regarding procurement and supplier management.
- Develop capacity to manage high value and complex procurements develop working knowledge of contract terms and conditions.
- Help teams to effectively manage suppliers Ability to take initiative, be self- motivated and have direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating new and existing staff on procurement processes.
- BA/B.Sc. Degree in Supply and Purchasing Management or related field such as (Logistics or Administration), from recognized institution.
- Good commercial awareness
- At least 3 years relevant procurement experience including the use of comprehensive evaluation techniques is essential.
- Is Proven ability to prepare reports and maintain complete files and records.
- High level of computer literacy (Word and Excel essential)
- Ability to prioritize within a multi- tasking environment
- Prior experience in a similar role in an NGO is an added advantage
- Familiar with procurement and logistics context in the northeast Nigeria.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language. Strong analytical skills, and ability to identify solutions, and implement resolutions
- Membership of a professional purchasing organization is an advantage
- Knowledge of contract drafting
IT competency required:
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Supportively manage teams or lead on projects, involving others in discussing how to take work forwards, helping people feel part of the team and treating everyone equally.
- Influence others to develop shared understanding and work cooperatively and collaboratively towards common goals where there are different personal or organizational agendas.
- Develop and maintain new relationships with individuals and organizations to further Christian Aid’s aims.
- Recognize and value differences in people; be ready to challenge assumptions, beliefs or attitudes in self or others.
- Manage expectations and adhere to what’s agreed, by doing what you say you’re going to do.
- Reflect the needs of different audiences, adapting style, media, timing and pace to communicate most effectively.
- Show an understanding of how personal and external factors impact on others’ communication style and needs and seek to manage these differences to ensure that all voices are heard.
- Clarify expectations and anticipate interests and potential issues of others, in order to help them get involved in debate and dialogue.
- Accept accountability internally and externally for the effective use of Christian Aid resources.
- Look for ways to achieve more effective outcomes by using existing resources in a new or different way, before using or commissioning new resources.
- Ensure results of self and others are achieved to quality and time by managing allocated resources and workloads.
- Create plans with key milestones and measurable outcomes: track progress and adjust to meet the objectives, ensuring others are aware of changes and reasons for them.
- Ensure individuals/ teams understand and agree to work to the overall goals, specific objectives and quality standards.
- Make recommendations or decisions in the best interest of Christian Aid, involving others as needed whether in and beyond own work area.
- Be willing to take action or make recommendations or decisions in difficult or ambiguous situations.
- Commit to your decisions and be accountable for them.
- Show willingness to adapt if your initial decision did not produce the expected result.
- Demonstrate continuing commitment to your own professional and personal development.
- Utilize coaching and mentoring skills in order to support others to develop.
- Encourage others to give their best by discussing goals and aspirations and recognize achievement.
- Provide an appropriate level of supervision according to need; know when to provide help and when to give others enough space to learn.
- Give constructive and timely feedback to others on difficult or contentious issues.
- Deal with poor performance directly and sensitively, seeking appropriate and timely advice and support if needed.
Strive for improvement:
- Be open to radical suggestions to avoid closing down options too early.
- Evaluate benefits and risks of new ways of working or ideas and identify ways to reduce risk.
- Find and implement ways to better support internal knowledge and information sharing.
- Coach others on dealing with resistance to change.
- Seek and evaluate a range of viewpoints, whether internal or external, about how Christian Aid could do things better, regardless of whose ideas they are and what role they have.
Salary (full time) : N8,114,408 Salary (full time).
Application Closing Date
15th November, 2018.
28th November, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online