National Information Management Officer (Borno) Job at the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA)
UNOCHA is the part of the United Nations Secretariat responsible for bringing together humanitarian actors to ensure a coherent response to emergencies. OCHA also ensures there is a framework within which each actor can contribute to the overall response effort.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Information Management Officer
Job ID: 19719
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN OCHA) has established a field office in Nigeria to facilitate coordination of humanitarian activities in Nigeria. Information management is a core component of a comprehensive support strategy for the humanitarian community. In order to meet the increased requirements for coordination support, humanitarian advocacy and information the National Information Management Officer will support the Information Management Unit (IMU) to analyse relevant data (tabular, statistical, spatial etc.) to support an efficient and effective humanitarian response.
- Under the overall guidance of the Head of OCHA Office and under the direct supervision of the Head of Information Management Unit, the national IMO will be responsible for the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
Support in the development of spatial/geographical information products (i.e. maps, metadata, data dictionary, etc):
- Collect, organise and file geographic data, map/Geographic Information Systems (GIS) production and geographic data management support. This requires a strong practical knowledge of relational database software like MS Access as well as MS Excel and experience with the pivot table function
- Develop and maintain spatial baseline and operational datasets in accordance with relevant standards and guidance, including IASC Common Operational Datasets (COD/FOD).
Support the development and maintenance of comprehensive operational information products, Who/What/Where, monitoring matrices, operational analyses, contact lists among others:
- Build strong relationships and maintain regular contacts with the local and international community; gather information on humanitarian activities in support of the Who/ What/Where database, including frequent liaison with key stakeholders.
- Support the development of standardized reporting formats and analysis to support operational decision making for internal and external use.
- Collect information and assist in analysis of monitoring reports based on humanitarian indicators to provide a coherent picture of humanitarian operations.
- On an ad-hoc basis, collect, analyse and disseminate information in cooperation with other Units within OCHA.
Maintain a client-oriented approach that ensures the OCHA provides high-quality information management services and products to the OCHA office and to members of the humanitarian community:
- Provide liaison support with relevant partners and stakeholders to promote information sharing and coordination.
- Provide support to the OCHA field offices, organize flow of information and assist the offices in planning information management activities.
- Provide graphics/design support for various presentations, as well as the development of high quality visual products (infographics, maps, tables, graphs).
- Conduct regular trainings for sector members and work closely with the IM counterparts in partner agencies and organisations.
Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing within OCHA and guidance to external stakeholders on information management focusing on achievement of the following:
- Promote the adoption of OCHA Information Management tools and techniques by OCHA staff and partners;
- Contribute to the development and delivery of training curricula to field partners
- Assisting with other tasks as directed by the OCHA Head of Office or the head of the Information Management Unit.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall country office’s efficiency in humanitarian information management and success in introducing, widespread adoption and implementation of operational information management approaches.
- Accurate, thoroughly researched and documented analytical techniques, timely and appropriate delivery of products that enhance OCHAs credibility in information management.
- Exposure to a wide range of information management systems related to humanitarian activities, conceptual and strategic analytical capacity, demonstrated problem-solving skills. Good knowledge of the region/country and ability to influence others to reach agreement.
- Ability to identify and analyse clients’ needs and refer that to the IM supervisor for improvement of the IM tools.
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
- Willingness to keep abreast of new IM tools
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information, effectively advice clients on systems related issues, applications, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Planning & Organizing:
- Ability to plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Geographic Information Systems, Graphic Design or related field is required.
- Minimum two (2) years of work experience in information systems, geographic information systems or graphic design.
- Relevant experience in working with an UN agency or other humanitarian agency is desirable.
- Experience in the area of emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management, humanitarian/development environment, field coordination is an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online