Wash Technician Needed at the International Medical Corps (IMC)
International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Wash Technician
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The WASH Technician will be responsible for providing support to the WASH team on the hardware components of the WASH program including construction and drilling/rehabilitation of water points especially in the areas of BOQ development, drawing / designs and day to day supervision of field works to ensure contractors deliver quality infrastructure works including but not limited to latrines and water points construction/rehabilitation, construction and/or rehabilitation of health facilities, GBV women centres, etc.
- Monitor record and ensure the right quantity and quality of water is trucked to the beneficiaries in the camp.
- Work with WASH Project Officer to conduct continual review of the designs and functionality of the water supply systems (and other water points) to ensure efficient operation as well as reliability and safe water distribution
- Regularly monitor the camp population form the DTM data and estimate water requirement vis-à-vis the production of water from the BHs, wells and hand pumps in the camps. Prepares the water trucking distribution and monitoring plan for the daily quantities and quality of supplied water
- Act as the main technical personal in the development of BoQs and designs for all WASH works on the various projects including but not limited to latrines construction, water points drilling and rehabilitation
- Work with the WASH Project Officer to design templates, construction contracts for WASH related works, and a system for monitoring the progress of works and performance of hired contractor
- Provide rigorous supervision of WASH hardware works in the various various camps and host communities in Maiduguri and Damboa
- Provide technical supervision to contractors undertaking various IMC works in camps and host communities and ensure delivered work is up to stand as required by IMC Review technical reports from the various contractors and provide recommendations to the WASH Project Officer as to whether the delivered infrastructures meet the required standards and quality by IMC Provide technical inputs in assessments for new project areas
- Provide technical inputs in the production of IMC regular reports both internally and externally: Weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc
- Provide technical input/ verification in the quality and quantity of materials received from suppliers before it is received by the logistics
- Liaise with contractors on the quantity and quality of materials to be requested form logistic and makes the request on time for prompt delivery to site
- Be involved in capacity building of Water Management and Sanitation committees especially with regards to routine maintenance techniques
- Provide updates to WASH Manager on state of IMC Water and Sanitation infrastructure by working closely with the trained WATSAN committees in the communities on regular basis.
- B.Eng. or HND in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or Architecture or any relevant technical qualification
- At least two year of experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or private engineering firm
- Demonstrated skill in the use of AutoCad, CAD, GIS software, and GPS device
- Experience in drafting Bill of Quantities for civil works
- Experience in ground water development and rehabilitation. Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, including use of formulas and pivot tables
- Strong skills with Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations Willingness to travel to other Borno LGAs outside of Damboa & for up to 2 weeks as required by supervisor.
Ethical Conduct for IMC Staff
- International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts
- No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported/ by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreement
- These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agent.
- Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA)
- Actively promote PSEA (Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse) standards within IMC and amongst beneficiaries served by IMC
- Ethical Conduct for IMC Staff The International Medical Corps maintains a code of standards of conduct that shall govern the performances of its employees engaged in the award and administration of contracts
- No employee, officer, or agent shall participate in the selection, award, or administration of a contract supported /by donor funds if a real or apparent conflict of interest would be involved
- Such a conflict would arise when the employee, officer, or agent, any member of his or her immediate family, his or her partner, or an organization which employs or is about to employ any of the parties indicated above, has a financial or other interest in the firm selected for an award.
- IMC officers, employees, or agents shall neither solicit nor accept gratuities, favors, or anything of monetary value from contractors, or parties to sub-agreements
- These standards shall provide for disciplinary actions to be applied for violations of such standards by IMC officers, employees, or agents.
Application Closing Date
3rd January, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit all applications which should be addressed to the “Human Resource Coordinator, International Medical Corps” via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates must state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their e-mail
- Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.