Health Community Mobilizer NGO Job at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Health Community Mobilizer
Location: Nganzai, Borno
Scope of Work
- The Health community Mobilizer is responsible for community participation in health facilities and /or mobile clinics in Nganzai LGA, Borno state.
- The community Mobilizer reports to the health manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Liaise with community leaders and other members of targeted communities in identifying community volunteers and existing community groups interested in health and nutrition activities.
- Conduct regular focus group discussions to identify existing barriers to uptake of services and develop communication strategies to overcome these barriers.
- Develop and conduct training for the community volunteers/group on positive health practices, safe motherhood, infant and young child feeding practices, and general child care and hygiene promotion.
- Support community sensitization activities at the clinics and in the community by community volunteers and other group.
- Identify and provide tools and IEC material to assist in dissemination of information.
- Prepare weekly work plan and ensure timely implementation of the project activities.
- Prepare activity reporting formats and collect weekly activity reports from community volunteers.
- Compile monthly activity report for submission to the health manager.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Human Resource Management:
- Supervise and monitor PHC midwifery staff.
- Build staff capacity through on Job coaching, skill training and supportive supervision. Jointly with the team, provide ongoing education for clinic staff and CVs.
Key Result Areas
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly maternal mortality ratio, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition and hygiene.
- Timely and quality health care services to displaced persons, refugees and other vulnerable groups.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
- Degree in Health Education, Social Sciences or Community Health.
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Certificate in public health or nutrition is an added advantage.
- Two to three years of experience in community mobilization, education, social services or public health.
- Proven experience in community based programming with the ability to motivate and lead community volunteers.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, be self-driven and proactive as well as creative in engaging with communities and volunteers.
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience in working in a team and able to lead a team.
- Flexible to travel and work in different locations.
- Ability to speak local languages will be an added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel is an added advantage.
- Working Environment: The position will be based in Borno State with frequent travels to Nganzai. The security situation in Borno is relatively stable with periodic tensions. All IRC offices are provided with internet facilities and there is reliable mobile telecommunication network in Borno.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Application Closing Date
11th January, 2019.
How to Apply
Interestes and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.