Administration and Finances Assistant Job at the European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES)
The European Centre for Electoral Support (ECES) is a non-profit private foundation headquartered in Brussels a global remit. ECES promotes sustainable democratic development through the provision of advisory services and operational support in favour of all electoral stakeholders, including electoral management bodies, civil society organizations dealing with civic & voter education and election observation, political parties and parliaments dealing with electoral reforms, media, security forces and legal institutions dealing to electoral dispute resolutions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration and Finances Assistant (National)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports to: Head of Finance and Administration ECES HQ
Duration: 6 months
- The project PEV-EDI – Nigeria, Prevention Elections Violence and Education for Inclusion in Nigeria seeks to complement the efforts of the Nigerian Government and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to improve and strengthen an inclusive Democracy especially with regards to the 2019 general elections.
- Nigeria has witnessed a steady consolidation of Democratic rule since 1999. Conscious efforts are being made to improve the electoral process. However, some challenges still confront the 2019 general elections. These include unhealthy political rivalry, escalation of ethnic cleavages, lack of regulatory framework and political competitions. The inclusivity of the electoral process remains a major and recurring challenge that has consistently limited the political space for marginalized groups such as women, youth, Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) and People Living with Disabilities (PWDs).
- The project contributes to the reinforcement of initiatives on inclusivity as the need to promote inclusion in the Nigeria’s electoral system has been the concern of government, electoral stakeholders and development partners.
- ECES through its methodology of Electoral Political Economy Analysis, will adopt a multidimensional gender strategy that engenders Men and Women, as more multi-facetted than being one homogenous group.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Under the daily guidance of the Head of Finances and Administration at ECES HQ, the Administration and Finances Assistant will have the following specific responsibilities and will provide the following deliverables:
- Ensure that adequate financial controls are implemented to maintain proper accountability;
- Ensure the financial transactions are properly recorded into the computerized accounting system , have adequate supporting documentation, filled, maintained and can be easily extracted for the purpose of preparing financial statements;
- Daily maintain the finances journal;
- Maintain petty cash transactions, including writing receipts, preparing payment request forms, disbursement of cash and clearance of advances;
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager , operate banking transactions related to the project, including preparing bank transfer requests, submitting them to the bank, monitoring transfers and preparing monthly bank reconciliation statements and reporting;
- Prepare periodic statement of expenditure reports and fund replenishment requests according to the donor requirements , carefully checking and inspecting all supporting documents;
- Check budget lines to ensure that all transactions are booked to the correct budget lines;
- Maintain an inventory file to support purchases of all equipment/assets;
- Establish and maintain cash controls including deposits and payments.
- Establish, maintain and reconcile the general ledger
- Prepare and reconcile bank statements
- Process supplier invoices
- Verify and submit staff time sheets for payroll processing
- Ensure that the procurement rules of the donors are respected.
- Implement all other working tasks deemed necessary by the Head of Finances and Administration HQ.
- Advanced degree in Management, Economics, Business Administration, Organizational Management or related field.
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of ECES;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling ECES’ values and ethical standards.
Application Closing Date
17th January, 2019.
Applications should consist of two separated documents:
- A motivational Letter of maximum one page
- CV of Maximum of three pages
- No further documents are required at this stage
- Save the document as CV_Surname-Name-MM.YYYY
- Applications will be considered on rolling basics