Logistics Officer Vacancy at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response. With the insurgency spilling over from the Northeast of Nigeria and causing displacement of million
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Logistics Officer
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2018/00040
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps is expanding its humanitarian programming to support the conflict-affected population.
- As a result of the wide-scale needs, Mercy Corps is scaling-up food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, livelihoods, and water sanitation hygiene (WASH) activities in Dikwa, Ngala, Damboa, Gwoza, Bama and Jere Local Government Areas in Borno State to address emergency needs.
General Position Summary
- Mercy Corps is looking for a strong Logistics Officer Position will be required to perform program support logistical duties in a timely and effective manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Maintain the asset records for the field office and liaise with Abuja for a centralized assets inventory
- Ensure all the items bought that fall under Asset category according to MC Policies are properly registered on the Asset Register with all the required information
- Maintain a softcopy and manual filing system of the Asset Register for Maiduguri Office
- Liaise with all staff on Assets Management, movement and monitor if the register is properly maintained and matches with the softcopy.
- Ensure quarterly reviews and physically crosscheck the Asset Register with the assets to ensure the asset tags are available on the assets and update the assets condition – depreciation if applicable.
- Ensure that all vehicles are safe and road-worthy and have proper on-board vehicle documentation.
- Maintain administrative vehicle files for each vehicle.
- Continuous tracking of vehicle log-sheets; responsible for monthly compilation of fuel consumptions.
- Schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs by maintaining vehicle movement board daily. Oversee and ensure proper use of the vehicles.
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station(s)
- Organize regular service schedules for vehicles and maintain service schedule files.
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner.
- Track vehicle expenses in accordance with the respective procurement policy.
- File Monthly Vehicle Consumables sheet for each vehicle separately.
- Order and maintain stock of spare parts and consumables.
- Manage drivers’ leave schedules ensuring smooth operation of the fleet.
- Coordinate with Human Resources to ensure proper tracking of drivers HR files.
- Ensure drivers are licensed and trained.
- Coordinate with drivers to ensure regular vehicle communications is in place.
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
- Ensures that security incident reports are completed and filed including all vehicles’ related incidents.
- Ensures that accident reports are completed and filed.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Any Other duties as assigned
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Drivers
- Reports Directly To: Senior Operations Officer
- Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations
Knowledge and Experience
- A Degree in Accounting, Economics, Logistics and Procurement Management, Business Management, or related field (with international NGOs is an asset)
- Two to three years’ experience in logistics and procurement with strong organizational skills,
- Ability to maintain the procurement and logistics filing system,
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel
- Adaptability to unanticipated circumstances,
- Microsoft Office computer skills and experience with using email.
- Ability to communicate in English, Kanuri and Hausa
- Proven ability to solve problems independently without supervision
- The successful candidate will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. S/he will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Applications Closing Date
23rd January, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.