Agric Market Systems Officer Opening at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agric Market Systems Officer
Location: Potiskum, Yobe, Nigeria – with 50% travel
Supervisory Responsibility: CASH & Livelihoods Program Assistants (2)
Works directly with: Field Manager, MEL Team, Agric Market Systems Officer, Finance, Program and Operation teams
Reports Directly to: Field Manager
Status: Full-time; Regular
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Agric Market Systems Officer will implement all aspects of the market systems development component of CASH & Livelihoods programme.
- The Agric Market Systems Officer will be required to apply a wide variety of market development tools and approaches in order to catalyse innovative services and facilitate linkages between market actors in the assigned programme areas.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy and Vision:
- Recognize opportunities to evolve the current humanitarian portfolio into a more effective and impactful portfolio addressing the changing needs of conflict-affected populations.
- Contribute to countrywide strategy development.
Representation and Coordination:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with communities, local authorities and other stakeholders.
- Ensure effective coordination with relevant working groups, UN, ICRC and colleagues I/NGO agencies.
- Work in liaison with the Cash & Livelihood Team and sector-focused Technical Specialists, carry out assessments in the target geographic area to assess current situation, economic opportunities and resources, needs and potential programs as well as obstacles that could be mitigated through MCN engagement with public and private sector actors. Such assessments shall include but are not limited to rapid market assessments, a local competitiveness assessment, sector selection, value chain analysis and development, and business support capacity needs to the stakeholders of the programme.
- Steer the process of identification and engagement of private sector businesses to expand their business models. This task will include profiling businesses, conducting light due diligence assessments, partnership management and mentoring and coaching.
- Foster ongoing positive cooperation with relevant stakeholders, including local business owners, local representatives and community members, and forge links between market actors, producers, end users, etc.
- Work in close coordination private sector partners, plan, implement and monitor market system development activities for farmer engagement in economic opportunities. This will include exploring partnerships with private sector actors to design, test, and deliver a wide range of appropriate services that increase effective smallholder farmer engagement within the agricultural market system.
- Assist private sector partners in developing capacity-building materials for business, technical and financial capacities as well as participate in capacity building sessions.
- Offer technical assistance in conjunction with other technical staff to build the capacity of producer organizations to perform marketing functions.
- Work in liaison with Private Sector Partners to ensure strengthening of farmers, associations and rural enterprises.
- Organize /facilitate training of agro-dealers, commission agents and other intermediaries to provide goods and services that increase the competiveness of local production.
- The incumbent will also mobilize targeted smallholder farmers (especially women) to participate in the programme for sustainability.
- Identify small business activities any other opportunities that strengthen economic opportunities, especially for women, as identified by local and national government as well as independent market studies and needs assessments;
- Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with all donor and Mercy Corps regulations.
- Oversee the UCT and CFW activity budgets and project monthly cash flow.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- MA/MS/MBA in relevant field required.
- Minimum 4-5 years of experience working on development, implementation, administration and compliance of a field-based international development or humanitarian program; specifically in economic recovery.
- Prior experience implementing livelihoods programs is essential, preferably in conflict settings.
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders to identify beneficiaries according to criteria required.
- Experience with running assessments, monitoring and evaluation and other learning efforts required.
- Experience representing the organization and its interests to a diverse range of local and international government officials, local civil society organizations, other international organizations, the media and the public.
- Commitment to renewing and maintaining knowledge of best practices
- Demonstrated training and facilitation experience
- Ability to work under pressure
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential. Understanding of humanitarian principles and their application to program implementation is required. Ability to supervise, mentor and coach a diverse team. Must be able to solve problems and multi-task on a range of administrative and programmatic issues. The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
The position is base in Potiskum, Yobe State and it requires up to 50 % travel to field offices in and around Potiskum.
Applications Closing Date
8th February 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.