Job For Programme Associate, Governance and Peacebuilding at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate, Governance and Peacebuilding
Job ID: 20902
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Practice Area – Job Family: Democratic Governance
Vacancy Type: Service Contract (SC)
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: One Year
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Nigeria secured a 3-year funding to implement Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding Programme and a component of the Democratic Empowerment Programme to support the national development efforts of the Government of Nigeria at all levels in July 2018. The implementation of the project has commenced in earnest and the need to recruit a Programme Associate to support the project is critical to its speedy, smooth and successful implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key Functions:
Supports to formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Programmes and Projects:
- Provides support to the management of Norway-funded project and the other CO governance, peace and security programme.
- Provides substantive and administrative support to the Governance, Peace and Security Unit’s programmes/projects.
- Provides support to resource mobilization efforts of the CO and prepares required donor reports (narrative and financial).
- Provides support to the CO knowledge management and best practice.
Provides effective support to the management of Norway-funded project with effective support to the other CO programmes/projects focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Creation of a project in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project.
- Support of financial process of payment to vendors for the projects
- Provision of guidance and communication to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects.
- Presentation of information for audit of NEX projects, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
Provides substantive and administrative support to the Governance, Peace and Security Unit’s programmes/projects focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects and register of goods receipt in ATLAS.
- Creation of requisitions, POs and vouchers in ATLAS.
- Preparation of concept notes, Terms of Refence, draft project briefs/reports.
- Contribution to projects’ formulation and projects’ budgets/finance.
- Provision of support to project implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Revision of NEX projects Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
Provides support to resource mobilization efforts of the CO and prepares donor reports (narrative and financial) focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and preparation of brief reports on interest and funding possibility.
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
- Review of contributions’ agreements, management of contributions in ATLAS and generation of donor reports in ATLAS.
Provides support to the CO knowledge management and best practice focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provides support to the CO knowledge management and best practice
- Supports organization of trainings for the operations/projects staff in the CO.
- Supports organization of training workshops for implementation partners and project beneficiaries.
- Prepares synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices on programmes/projects.
- Makes sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have impact on the overall performance of the Governance, Peace and Security Unit’s Programmes/Projects and the success of the programme implementation strategies. Accurate data entry and analysis, as well as, presentation of information ensure effective and smooth programme implementation.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships:
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Responds positively to new approaches
- Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and possess new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals:
- Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Prince2 training and certification, RMG
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education, ( with 8 years experience) preferably with certification in Project Management and/or Finance.
- University Degree ( with 5 years experience) in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Peace Studies, Political Sciences and Social Sciences is desirable but not a requirement.
- 5-8 years of development work and progressively responsible for substantive, administrative or programme management support at the national or international level is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems
- Fluency in English.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 13th February, 2019.
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
- UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
- The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.