Child Protection Field Team Leader Job at Terre des hommes Foundation (Tdh)
Terre des hommes (Tdh) is a child relief Non-Governmental Organization with a presence in over 30 countries of the world and more than 90 projects.
Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference to the lives of children in need. We support children in areas of Child and Maternal health, protection, Water and sanitation and Migration. Our humanitarian services sector aid children in crisis situations across the world.
Tdh in Nigeria implements projects in Health, Wash and Child Protection sectors. Hence, we are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection Field Team Leader
Locations: Dikwa and Pulka, Borno
- The Child Protection Field Team Leader is responsible for the overall supervision and coordination of the Child Protection activities in Dikwa and Pulka, including psychosocial support activities aimed at enhancing the psychosocial well-being of children, adolescents and caregivers, Case Management services, capacity building and awareness and outreach activities Responsibilities include the direct management of a team consisting of PSS workers, PSS volunteers, Case Workers, and Community workers and community volunteers.
- The post holder is also responsible to provide on-going technical support to ensure quality and relevance of the overall Child Protection intervention strategy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Together with the line manager, ensure the establishment and implementation of work plans, setting clear targets and activity plans
- Ensure regular communication with the line manager about updates, achievements and challenges through meetings, reports and ad hoc communication upon request and needs
- Conduct technical follow-up sessions to provide and receive feedbacks, share impressions aiming at improving quality and effectiveness of interventions
- Ensure that monitoring system documents and tools are well understood and regularly submitted to the line manager and/or M&E Officer
- Organize evaluation process of project activities for lessons learned exercise and reporting purposes and participate in field assessment whenever requested by the line manager.
Supervision of Psychosocial Support Activities:
- Liaise with the partner organizations focal points and community members for the identification of available spaces to conduct psychosocial support activities
- Conduct an initial assessment of the psychosocial well-being of targeted beneficiaries in all the project’s locations
- Support the PSS workers to draft a weekly activity schedule and revise it regularly as to make it adaptable to the evolving needs on the ground and according to the logistic needs and constraints
- Ensure a close supervision of daily activities, support the staff in prioritizing interventions if needed, overcoming challenges and seeking synergies with other actors
- Provide daily guidance and support to the staff, suggest change, updates and improvements of relevant psychosocial activities when needed
- Ensure that signs of mental health and psychosocial distresses are identified, registered and cared for in timely and quality manner, through referrals when appropriate
- Facilitate initiatives aiming at supporting the reintegration of targeted beneficiaries within communities, empowering them to make use of available existing resources and services
Supervision of Case Management Activities:
- Ensure that the case management system for children and adults in a need of protection is aligned with the Inter-agency Case Management Guidelines, adheres and refers to the main inter-agency standardized operating procedures and tools
- Ensure that case workers thoroughly follow the case management steps ensuring that each step is properly implemented and documented in the individual’s file
- Document all registered cases in the Information Management Systems
- Conduct weekly supervision meetings with all caseworkers, providing technical advice on cases and psychosocial support to caseworkers. Facilitate peer-to-peer support groups where appropriate.
- Review staff caseloads to ensure that they are manageable and share challenges with senior management.
- Conduct regular case file audit and check that protocols and principles are respected.
- Map existing specialized services and make sure that the referral pathway is up-to-date to facilitate beneficiaries’ access
- Ensure that appropriate information management protocol is in place, particularly in terms of confidentiality of data (including data base)
Supervision of protection, community awareness and outreach activities:
- Oversee quality supervision of protection, community awareness and outreach activities for various age groups within community centers
- Under the supervision of the line manager and based on the assessment’s findings, design an array of age and gender appropriate social events, educational programmes, awareness raising sessions using Tdh existing tools and guidelines, including material produced by the verified and reputable sources
- Ensure introduction and functioning of safe and confidential community feedback and complaints mechanism
- Oversee implementation of community risk mapping exercises across all the program locations
- Development of protection-related IEC materials and other technical tools
- Ensure a close supervision of daily community outreach activities, support the staff in prioritizing interventions if needed, overcoming challenges and seeking synergies with other actors and other Tdh sectors.
Logistic and Admin:
- Carry out all the procedures connected with the accomplishment of the planned activities (administrative and logistical)
- Ensure proper use of equipment and other material resources available to the project
- Submit purchase requests and other logistics team documents according to procedure and authorization level
- Provide appropriate training, mentoring, coaching and capacity building of the team under her/his responsibility
- Organize team meetings and provide weekly program update and staff planning
- Follow up staff attendances, leaves and provide monthly attendance sheets to her/his manager to facilitate payroll process
- Ensure regular feedback to the staff under her/his responsibility and appraisal process when needed and facilitate good communication within the teams under his/her responsibility
- Support disciplinary measures application if needed
- Promote, and ensure project activities are in line with child protection principles and humanitarian principles
- Ensure the project activities are well-integrated into the Northeastern Nigeria child protection system and humanitarian coordination practices and guidelines
- Ensure Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Protection Minimum Standards are mainstreamed through all the programmatic activities
- Report serious cases of abuse committed against children to the Child Protection Project Manager. Strict confidentiality must be respected.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work in close collaboration with Tdh partners and other key actors
- Coordinates with other Tdh sectors to ensure implementation of standardized activities and with other departments (programme and support) of Tdh Nigeria
- Participate in fora and meetings held at site level in her/his field of expertise, when relevant and necessary
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations
- Contribute to updating the security plan on his/her area(s) of intervention
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures
- Language Skills: Fluent in local languages and in English (speaking/reading/writing).
- Education Degree: University degree in Social Work, Social Studies, International Development, Psychology, Education or any other related discipline
- Work experience: Minimum 2 years experience in the field of child protection / protection/ PSS
- Knowledge & skills: Excellent analytical and writing skills, creative thinking
- Computer skills: Good knowledge of the MS office software.
- Other: Knowledge of protection systems in Northeastern Nigeria/Good capacity building and supervisory skills/ Excellent knowledge of child protection issues and best practices / Previous experience in drafting PSS activity plans and structured plans of recreational activities is highly desirable / Previous experience in working with youth target groups is of a benefit.
- Other knowledge: Acquaintance with NGO’ rules, procedures and regulations; Acquaintance with the Child Protection Minimum Standards
- Work in relief or development sector
- Strong motivation to help people in needs
- Transversal skills
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable, rigorous and well organized
- Motivated and dedicated to his/her job
- Ability to take initiative to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation
- Autonomy, neutrality, hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able and willing to learn to extend his/her scope of work
- Able to manage priorities, take initiatives and work without constant supervision
Application Closing Date
22nd February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit copy of updated CV, Letter of Motivation and National ID card and 3 reference contacts in a single document format to: firstname.lastname@example.org Please write the job title in the subject line of your mail.
- The position must be clearly indicated on the application.
- Save CVs with your name boldly.
- Both female are encourage to Apply.
- Only candidates who meet the selection criteria will be conducted.
- This position is open to Nigerian national only.