Midwife Assistant Needed at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Midwife Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Starting date: 11th of March 2019
Ending date of contract: 31st of March 2019 (with possibility of extension)
- Under the direct supervision of the Midwives, the Midwife assistant provides Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) care and Sexual Reproductive Health (SRH) care services, including Ante Natal Care (ANC), Post Natal Care (PNC), basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care, family planning etc.
- S/he follows PUI obstetrical and sexual reproductive health protocols and universal standards to ensure the quality and continuity of care, and to contribute to the promotion and restoration of the communities’ health.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Support in the medical consultation:
- Welcome patients to the facility
- Establish personal rapport with potential and actual patients and their relatives
- Provide Antenatal and Postnatal care services
- Provide Basic Obstetrical and Neonatal care, including assistance to urgent normal deliveries, manage obstetric emergencies
- Ensure mothers receive the documents required (birth certificate, vaccination card)
- Provide Family planning counseling as a routine and on request (where possible to the couple) and provide contraceptives according to the need
- Treat sick Pregnant and Lactating Women for illnesses selected by PUI, and for which a protocol is provided and adhere to therapeutic standards
- Manage sexual transmitted infections according to PUI protocols
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Provide essential preventative assistance services and follow up to identified women in reproductive age years, especially pregnant/lactating women.
- Assess the level of urgency of the patience and make sure urgent cases are seen first
- Evaluate the pregnant women for high risks pregnancy and ensure a timely referral to secondary health services.
- Identify cases needing referral and refer them in time, assessment and follow-up of new borne.
- Identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and collaborate with the medical team for treatment.
- Provide individual and group health education to patients concerning safe motherhood, care of the new born, IYCF (Infant and Young child feeding), Family Planning and general Sexual Health.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with Universal standards, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Adhere to infection-control policies and protocols, medication administration and storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
Administration, reporting and data collection:
- Assist the midwife in in ensuring the correct patient information documentation
- Assist the midwife in the reporting of data
- Ensure daily, weekly and monthly data collection
- Directly report any difficulties or delays in the implementation of activities
- In case of absence of another team member, the midwife assistant will replace in the appropriate sector
- Attend to trainings and meetings when required
- Perform other relevant duties as requested by supervisors
The Tasks and Responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
- Language skills: Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing) and fluent in local languages (Hausa and Kanuri)
- Education degree: Nigerian health care qualification or Community Health Extension Worker (CHEW) qualified under the Nigerian health care legislation
- Work experience: Minimum of 1 years of experience as midwife or similar. Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Good ability for team work
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies.
- Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy experience
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Understanding of the context of the area
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking.
Application Closing Date
20th February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online