Poultry and Livestock Intervention Support Consultant Job at Palladium International
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Poultry and Livestock Intervention Support Consultant
Propcom Mai-Karfi is a DFID programme aimed at increasing incomes for the poor in Northern Nigeria through enhanced employment opportunities and improvedproductivity in selected agricultural market systems in Northern Nigeria. Propcom Mai-karfi recently got a 3 years extension (2018-2021) with particular focus on the North East (NE) States and 3 North West states-Kaduna, Kano and Jigawa states.
The aim is to influence INGOs in the NE states to shift from humanitarian to development and to implement market recovery and systems development programmes across the targeted states.The project has over the last few years worked in the areas of poultry health and improved poultry husbandry. It has also facilitated activities in poultry marketing and livestock.
In this phase, the project intends to implement the following strategies under poultry and livestock.
- Expand commercial access to veterinary products and services through a network of community animal health workers (CAHW).
- Generate demand for veterinary services through expanded networks of community vaccinators (CVs) and vaccination campaigns.
- Build the capacity of poultry and livestock producers on basic husbandry techniques to increase their flock sizes and survival rates.
- Facilitate output market linkages for poultry and livestock products.
Currently, the Poultry and Livestock team is managing 10 partnerships and sub/service contracts, facilitating activities across the 9 Programme states working with both the public and private sectors. Expectedly, these partnerships require facilitating several intervention activities, running concurrently, causing a strain on the existing human resource. In other to meet up with the planned schedules and execute planned activities with precision, the team requires the support of a consultant for 2019/2019.
- Seek a consultant to support in facilitating programme activities across PM States and track vaccine sales and availability in the trade –distributors, community animal health workers and vaccinators as well the impact of Government purchases impacting on supply to SHFs.
- Conduct a product life cycle analysis on NDV-i2 vaccines, PPR vaccines and product promotion review of packaged process local chicken;customer preference (whole / part/ smoked / live /grilled etc.), assess the strength and weakness of current strategies, and outline the untapped opportunities.
- Provide implementation and monitoring support for activation of vaccination campaigns
- Provide implementation and monitoring support to the poultry team’s capacity building events and accountability group meetings across intervention states.
- Track and report vaccine availability in the trade –distributors, vaccinators, community animal health workers and outstations.
- Track end-user network from per-urban distributors to community vaccinators for the level of utilisation.
- Utilise PM database for activity planning, engaging with relevant stakeholders and update accordingly,
- Provide implementation and monitoring support to assigned private sector partners
- Work with Market Managers to facilitate marketing communication campaigns through various media and liaise with the PM Communication Manager (Abuja Based)
- Monitor ongoing promotional activities for local chickens and inform market manager of observed challenges in a timely manner.
- Update intervention guides
- Conduct desk research on the incidence of Gumburo in small indigenous flock in Northern Nigeria and abuse of ant-bionics by poultry farms and how to migitate the challenge,
- Updated database of distributors and vaccinators/community animal health workers
- Updated farmers’ database
- State level Learning event with NVRI “out-station staff” and distributors executed
- As part of “Activity Reports” inform Market Manger in a timely manner of planned activities as well as the results of implementing those activities.
- Product life cycle report on NDV-i2 vaccines, PPR vaccines and local chickens
- Weekly updates on communication campaigns, with data on # of exposures, channels used and local chicken sales from the outlets
- Project completion report for the local chicken promotions, including the results achieved.
- Monthly progress updates with vaccine tracking information and activity completed, a template will be provided that will facilitate the aggregation of data for the overall report at the end of contract.
- Provide an overall report at the end of contract, containing the following sections:
- The activity(ies)
- Identified constraints and suggested solutions
- Action steps
The Intervention Support consultants should have:
- Previous work experience in a similar position
- Good knowledge and experience using Microsoft office suite.
- Proficiency in Hausa language is an added advantage
- Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Medicine, Agriculture, Business, Marketing or related subjects.
- Knowledge in conducting value chain analysis
- Knowledge in developing simple business plans and concept notes;
- Experience in implementing marketing communication programs
- Experience writing reports
Venue(s), Timing and Duration of Assignment:
- The maximum number of days for the contract will be 144 days and will end on 31st March 2020. S/he will report directly to the Market Managers, Salamatu Baba and Gbenga Ariyo. The role will be based in Abuja with frequent travel to programme states.
- The final report will be approximately 7-8 pages long with annexes of attendance, pictures and supportive data.This will be submitted to the Market managers.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates (Individual Consultants and not organisations) should submit a CV (not more than 3 pages), a profile with relevant work experience (not more than 5 pages), and contact details of three professional referees to: email@example.com Use “Poultry and Livestock Intervention Support Consultant” in the subject of your e-mail.
Click here for more Information (PDF)
Application Deadline 8th March, 2019.