Field Coordinator (Food Security and Nutrition) Job at COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Coordinator (Food Security and Nutrition)
- The Field Coordinator will be the main reference on the field for the staff and for the execution of the activities and will directly contribute in the execution of all the tasks linked to the Food Security and Nutrition project when needed.
- The position is based in Damaturu, Yobe State respectively and reports directly to the Deputy Project Manager and indirectly to the Project Manager.
- The Field Coordinator will facilitate the good coordination between the various departments in order to support the project objectives as set by the program manager and Project Managers.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, and in collaboration with the other collaborators of the programme and of the base, he/she:
- Coordinate regular project activities guaranteeing the smooth implementation according to the project work plan;
- Select the Community Mobilizers in collaboration with the Project Manager and with the local authorities;
- Supervise, support and lead the activities coordinating the team of the field officers and community mobilizers;
- Coordinate enumerators in the field during needs assessment and the execution of the surveys;
- Liaise with the targeted communities and beneficiaries and ensure a smooth cooperation between COOPI, local authorities and communities;
- Identify program gaps and suggest mitigating actions in the monthly reports to the Project Manager;
- Support the Project Manager with any ad hoc information compilation for donor specific reports and requests from the field;
- Supports the Project Manager in managing any staff issues that may require disciplinary actions, mediation etc. according to COOPI guidelines;
- Cooperate with the Nutrition Officer to follow the contents guided by him/her;
- Perform any other action related with the position needed to achieve the objectives of the project if requested by the Project Manager;
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to COOPI management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties to maintain/enhance the security environment for COOPI programs.
- Support the documentation of lessons learnt, best practices and proven innovations in programme design, implementation, monitoring and reporting to improve program design and implementation strategy;
- Create a culture of knowledge and information among staff, community partners and opinion leaders, and peers;
- Provide support to ensure that internal and donor timelines and deadlines are monitored, managed and met and reporting mechanisms are strengthened;
- Completion of quantitative and qualitative Activity Progress Reports (APRs) together with the project team.
- The Field Coordinator is also expected to conduct all duties in a professional manner following COOPI staff regulations and charter including commitment to gender equality.
- Communicate COOPI’s performance standards and expectations to team members.
- Monitor the compliance of COOPI’s financial, logistics and HR guidelines.
- Ensure organisational compliance with donor policies and guidelines, in addition to country specific (Nigerian) regulations.
- Provide periodic sessions to clarify and enforce HR procedures and policies and act as the focal point on the field for the roll out of any changes.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor level degree in FSL related discipline, Management, or related field; MBA or similar higher degree a plus
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in an INGO in positions of progressively more responsibility and scope, in one or more of the following areas: FSL coordination, Nutrition, WASH, Agriculture, Administration, Logistics & Security.
- Previous experience with donor-funded programs.
- Proven experience in contexts with volatile security and safety issues.
- Exceptional organization and planning skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal, communication and leadership skills, able to negotiate, influence, give effective feedback, foster teamwork, promote cohesion, bring diverse teams, staff and peer-level colleagues into alignment around work plans and organizational objectives
- Able to manage stress effectively, juggle competing priorities, balance various programmatic, logistic and team needs.
- Minimum of 3 years (including management of health & nutrition activities)
- Food Security and Livelihoods (Desirable).
- Security Management
- Project Management
- Training in FSL/Nutrition / Agriculture / Water, sanitation / other.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent writing skills
- Project Management skills
- Team Management
- Knowledge of procedures related to institutional donors (OFDA, ECHO, AAP, UN agencies)
- Management of vehicle fleets, stocks, supply chains.
- Excellent English oral and writing skills
- Kanuri (added advantage).
Required Personal Characteristics (fitting into the team, suitability for the job and assignment):
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and showing organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and the mandate of COOPI before local authorities
- Ability to integrate the local environment into operations, in its political, economic and historical dimensions
- Ability to work with various partners, in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategies
- Strong listening and negotiation skills
- Good people and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm and level-headed
- General ability to resist stress and particularly in unstable circumstances.
- Mobility: Extensive travel may be required
- Ability to work in volatile / secluded deep field locations
- Ability to manage teams remotely.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online