National Sanitation Marketing Consultant Job at the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Sanitation Marketing Consultant
Job Number: 520419
Contract Duration: 11 months
Work Type: Consultancy
The main purpose of this consultancy is to continue providing technical support to UNICEF WASH program in Nigeria to strengthen the already developed sanitation supply chains consisting of sanitation marketing entrepreneurs/Toilet Business Owners, their network of masons, MFIs and community saving groups. The sanitation entrepreneurs together with masons will be supported to continue to conduct promotional events and other sales activities to help households move up the sanitation ladder by offering a manageable range of options of easy-to-build and affordable yet aspirational improved toilets.
The sustainability of the TBOs will guarantee that the uptake of improved toilets will continue to grow. Therefore, the program will continue to support all efforts designed to keep the TBOs interested in the market and at the same time make sure that the households are not exploited. These planned activities will not require sustained follow up and mentoring support but will have to be scaled up in the remaining LGAs as well.
The Sanitation Marketing Consultant will continue work on various aspects of the sanitation supply chain and Sanitation Financing. This will require management of the post training support activities to all the Sanitation Marketing Entrepreneurs/Toilet Business Owners (SMEs/TBOs) and continuous linkage of the TBOs/SMEs with Household and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs). Emphasis will be placed on structured promotional activities for SanMark.
The supply network/system created will be provided marketing support to connect to the demand created through routine CLTS programming strategy. There shall be more emphasis on convergence of CLTS and the PPP strategies. The approach now will lead to convergence of all aspects.
The TBOs will be supported to take the lead in this market-led approach so as to grow the scale of uptake quickly. These interventions will not only be supported in the existing 60 LGAs but will be scaled up to all SHAWN LGAs over the coming months as well.
Under the overall guidance of Chief of WASH and with supervision from the WASH Specialist, the key tasks for this consultancy include the following:
- Continue to Support the capacity development and mentoring of the TBOs:
- The Consultant working with SMEDAN at all levels shall continue to strengthen the capacities of the 600 TBOs that have been trained. The FOs shall be facilitated to identify and train at least 10 SMEs in each SHAWN LGA in the scale up phase. More TBOs shall be identified and trained as the program expands to cover all SHAWN LGAs.
- Support Capacity Development for SMEDAN: The consultant shall facilitate the development of SMEDAN’s Capacity to undertake SanMark enterprise development across the Country. This will be mainstreamed into their statutory responsibility.
- Facilitate TBOs linkages to the markets: Working with the respective LGAs the consultant will ensure that the trained TBOs make group sales pitches to all communities in their respective catchment areas. The consultant will facilitate the respective LGAs and TBOs to delineate their catchment areas and mark them on GIS maps for easy monitoring and follow up as well.
- Support TBOs Business Promotion through IEC materials: In liaison with the UNCIEF FOs/LGAs and RUWASAs ensure that each TBO/SME/MFI is provided with promotion material and their business promoted through a multimedia approach
- Support the establishment of Pool Funds: Working State RUWASSAs and facilitators continue to advocate for the establishment and operation of Pool Funds for SanMark in all the states. Most importantly support the sustainability of such funds through the RUWASSAs.
- Scaling up across the SHAWN States/LGAs: Working with FOs, state consultants and LGA consultants, make available the services of the SMEs to all communities in the SHAWN LGAs across the six SHAWN states and beyond
- Operational Guidelines: Finalize the SanMark Operational Guide for UNICEF that will be adopted nationally for sanitation marketing through public wide consultation and workshop.
- Monitoring: Ensure that the SanMark monitoring dashboard with special emphasis on WASHIMS is regularly updated from household level up to TBO-LGA /State and national level.
- Learning Reviews: Conduct or cause to be held weekly and monthly reviews at the LGA and state levels respectively within the Multi-Stakeholder Platform (MSP) and quarterly reviews at the national level.
- Facilitating the sustainable operation of SM-MSP at the Federal and state level: Facilitate the setting up and growth of a Sanitation Marketing Multi Stakeholder Platform. This will be supported by major stakeholders at the national and state levels.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- University Degree in Sanitation, Public Health, Social Science or related technical field with a minimum of three years of experience working in rural and informal markets
- Desirable areas of expertise include civil engineering, value chain analysis; business advisory services, particularly in the areas of market transformation; capacity building and social entrepreneurship. Other essential
- Proven analytical and planning skills and ability to think strategically.
- Good communications and writing skills in English.
- Excellent presentation skills, both in terms of written and oral communication.
- Willingness to travel to rural and semi-urban areas of the country.
- Strong computing skills including spreadsheets and graphics
- Passion and commitment to UNICEFâ€™s mission and professional values.
- Willingness to be a part of, and closely work with a government personnel/staff and institutions.
- Diplomacy and negotiating skills.
- Previous work experience with UNICEF and in Africa would be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
20th March, 2019 at 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should quote their expected all inclusive fee in their Cover Letters.
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization
- UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.